Chuen Yan Cheng
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (February 2009)|
|Prof Chuen Yan Cheng|
June 18, 1954 |
Hong Kong, China
Chinese University of Hong Kong (B.Sc.))
University of Newcastle, Australia (Ph.D.)
|Known for||Male contraceptive drug|
Richard E. Weizman Memorial Award
Chuen Yan Cheng is the inventor of a male contraceptive drug called Adjudin, which is the first male contraceptive drug shown to be effective in inducing germ cell adhesion in the seminiferous epithelium, causing germ cell depletion from the testis, leading to infertility. Since the population of undifferentiated spermatogonia and spermatogonial stem cells in the testis following adjudin treatment is not affected, the adjudin-induced infertility is transient and its anti-fertility effect is reversible. Recently finished animal studies showing no side-effects. However, the margin between its efficacy and toxicity following 29-day use in laboratory rats based on a subchronic toxicity test is narrow. Subsequent studies in the laboratory have shown that an endogenously produced biologically active peptide in the testis known as F5-peptide  can effectively and transiently break-down the blood-testis barrier. These findings thus illustrate that this F5-peptide can be used in conjunction with adjudin in a multi-drug approach for male contraception. Recent studies have demonstrated other potential health benefits of adjudin including its anticancer  anti-inflammatory  and anti-ototoxicity  activity, illustrating its potential health benefits following long-term use at low doses.
- "Obsessed Scientist Finally Throttles 'Em! Non-Paternity Potion". The New York Observer. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "Future male "pill" targets testicles". Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "Male pill - Science Base". Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "Seed: The Hunt for Male Birth Control". Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- Cheng CY et al. Contraception 72:251-261, 2005; Mruk DD, Silvestrini B, Cheng CY Pharmacol Rev 60:146-180, 2008.
- Mok KW, Mruk DD, Lee WM, Cheng CY. Int J Androl 35:86-101, 2012
- Connor, Steve (2006-10-30). "Trials for alternative male Pill show no side-effects". The Independent (London). Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- "Male Contraceptive Drug in the Works". Retrieved 2008-09-28.[dead link]
- Mruk DD, Wong CH, Silvestrini B, Cheng CY. Nature Med 12:1323-1328, 2006
- Yan HHN, Mruk DD, Wong EWP, Lee WM, Cheng CY. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 105:8950-8955, 2008; Su L, Mruk DD, Lie PPY, Silvestrini B, Cheng CY. Nat Communs 3:1185, 2012
- (Xie R, Liu Y, Shao J, Yang J, Liu T, Zhang T, Wang B, Mruk DD, Silvestrini B, Cheng CY, Xia W. Biochem Pharmacol 85:345-355, 2013),
- Shao J, Liu T, Xie QR, Zhang T, Yu H, Wang B, Ying W, Mruk DD, Silvestrini B, Cheng CY, Xia W. J Neuroimmunol 254:834-90, 2013,
- Quan Y, Xia L, Shao J, Yin S, Cheng CY, Xia W, Gao WA. Sci Rep 5:8181