|Full name||Cilindro Municipal|
|Demolished||12 May 2014|
It was opened in 1956 for Industrial Exhibition of the Production of international character.
On 21 October 2010, its roof fell down atop the inside structure because of a fire, the source of which is unknown, severely damaging the seats. Interior Ministry Eduardo Bonomi confirmed it will be demolished.
A work group started doing studies since the middle of December 2010 and, on March 2011, the Intendencia of Montevideo announced that the "Cilindro Municipal" would be substituted by an "Olympic" stadium with a cultural as well as sportive scope of use. Works were expected to start in 2012 and to last for three years.
The arena was demolished successfully on 12 May 2014.
The arena was the main venue of the 1967 World Basketball Championship, for which it had a seating capacity for 18,000 spectators. Many artists have performed in this arena, including Bob Dylan, The Mission, UB40, Van Halen and Molotov. On October 8, 2001, Eric Clapton performed at the arena during his Reptile World Tour in front of 18,000 fans.
- Article of El Pais about the future of the Cilindro.
- FIFTH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP -- 1967
- "Adiós al Cilindro: fue implosionado tal como estaba previsto – Diario La República". La República (in Spanish). Diario La República. 12 May 2014. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- Official site
- Disney on ice
- Article about what a reconstruction of the Cilindro would entail
- cilindro Municipal di Montevideo F.Giovannardi
Ginásio do Maracanãzinho
Rio de Janeiro
|FIBA World Championship
|This article about a sports venue in Uruguay is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|