|Born: May 8, 1991|
|April 23, 2016, for the Miami Marlins|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||3.86|
Ege played high school baseball and basketball at Cherokee High School in Cherokee, Iowa during a period when Cherokee qualified for the state tournament every year since 2005. He first joined the varsity baseball team as an eighth-grader for the 2006 season. Teammate Matt Koch was a year older than Ege, and the two would continue to play together at the University of Louisville and ultimately both made the Major Leagues in 2016.
In 2007, Cherokee won the state championship in with a 31-2 record. The team lost in the state championship game in 2008. Ege pitched the state championship semifinal game against Dyersville Beckman, entering with a 9-0 record and 0.13 ERA. Ege recorded 13 strikeouts, but took the loss, 1-0.
During his senior year, Ege had a 6-2 record, pitched 59 innings, with a 0.83 ERA and 123 strikeouts, while hitting .461 with 9 HR and 34 RBIs. The team was defeated in the state quarterfinals by Carroll Kuemper High School, 3-0. Ege was selected as honorary captain for Class 2-A on the 2010 Iowa Newspaper Association All-State Baseball Team. Ege was a four-time Lakes Conference and All-District performer.
He was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 15th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft. He made his professional debut that year with the Spokane Indians and also spent time with the Hickory Crawdads and Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Ege spent 2014 with Myrtle Beach and started 2015 with the High Desert Mavericks before being promoted to the Double-A Frisco RoughRiders.
Ege made his major league debut on April 23, 2016.
Los Angeles Angels
Ege was claimed off waivers by the Los Angeles Angels on August 12, 2016. He was non-tendered on December 2. On January 7, 2017, Ege signed a minor league contract with the Angels. He elected free agency on November 6, 2017.
- "2A Champ: Solon". Greater Des Moines Baseball Co. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Birch, Tommy (September 9, 2016). "Iowa high school teammates called up to big leagues". Des Moines Register. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Past Summer Tournament State Champs". Greater Des Moines Baseball Co. 2017. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Giese, Jerry (July 31, 2009). "Cherokee falls in 2A semifinal thriller". Sioux City Journal. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Beckman Blazes Path to 2A Title Game". Greater Des Moines Baseball Co. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Cody Ege named captain of Class 2-A INA All-State team". Cherokee Chronicle Times. August 4, 2010. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- "Cherokee's Koch, Ege excel in professional baseball". Cherokee Chronicle Times. May 20, 2015. Retrieved November 5, 2017.
- Cherokee's Cody Ege signs with Texas Rangers
- Cherokee's Ege signs with Texas Rangers
- Sunday Stretch: Cody Ege continues pitching brilliance
- Marlins send reliever Sam Dyson to Rangers for C Tomas Telis, pitcher
- Wilmoth, Charlie (January 7, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 1/7/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.