Col du Platzerwasel
|Col du Platzerwasel|
The summit of the col
|Elevation||1,182 m (3,878 ft)|
The Col du Platzerwasel (elevation 1,182 m (3,878 ft)) is a mountain pass situated in the Vosges Mountains in the Haut-Rhin department of France, between Sondernach and Le Markstein. It has been crossed occasionally during the Tour de France cycle race, including on Stage 10 of the 2014 race.
Details of climb
From the north-east, the climb starts in Munster from where the climb is 16.2 km (10.1 mi) long, gaining 781 m (2,562 ft) in altitude, at an average gradient of 4.8%. At Sondernach, the climb meets the descent from the Col du Petit Ballon; from here the summit is 7.1 km (4.4 mi) at an average gradient of 8.4%. The steepest sections of the climb are at a gradient of 9.6% between 6 km (4 mi) and 4 km (2 mi) from the summit.
Tour de France
|Year||Stage||Category||Start||Finish||Leader at the summit|
|2014||10||1||Mulhouse||La Planche des Belles Filles||Joaquim Rodríguez (ESP)|
|2009||13||1||Vittel||Colmar||Sylvain Chavanel (FRA)|
|1967||8||2||Strasbourg||Ballon d'Alsace||Jesús Aranzábal (ESP)|
On the 10th stage of the 2014 Tour de France, Alberto Contador crashed on the descent from the Col du Platzerwasel, breaking his tibia. After riding on for 20 km, he eventually abandoned the Tour.
- Per IGN map
- "Stage 10: Mulhouse to La Planche des Belles Filles". Tour de France. Amaury Sport Organisation. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Col de Platzerwasel - Munster". www.climbbybike.com. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- "Le col du Platzerwasel dans le Tour de France" (in French). ledicodutour. Retrieved 13 July 2014.
- Cary, Tom (14 July 2014). "Alberto Contador crashes out as Vincenzo Nibali takes Stage 10 and yellow jersey". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 15 July 2014.
- "Tour de France 2014: Alberto Contador pulls out on stage 10". BBC Sport. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 15 July 2014.