Collapse Under the Empire
Collapse Under the Empire
Collapse Under the Empire, 2011
|Labels||Sister Jack Records, Finaltune Records|
Collapse Under The Empire is an instrumental post-rock band from Hamburg (Germany), which was founded in 2008. The duo, consisting of Chris Burda and Martin Grimm have released six studio albums and a number of EPs and singles.
Chris Burda and Martin Grimm found themselves together for the first time in summer 2008 in Hamburg. Under the name Collapse Under The Empire, four songs were composed for their first EP Paintball in 2009.
The debut album Systembreakdown was initially released independently in 2009. A year later the successor Find a Place to be Safe was released through the label Sister Jack Records and began to make the band known internationally. Magazines such as Q, Clash and Rock Sound praised the cinematic sound of the band.
The first psychedelic inspired Mini Album appeared with The Sirens Sound and shortly after, the Split-EP Black Moon Empire in collaboration with the Russian band Mooncake. The band also contributed to the track Anthem of 44 for the Emo Diaries Compilation I Love You But in the End I Will Destroy You by Deep Elm Records.
The third album of the band, released in 2011, was Shoulder & Giants and was the first part of the concept works, for which the second part, Sacrifice & Isolation, has been announced for May 2014.
Shoulders & Giants received good reviews – the music magazine Visions, among other things, praised the “beyond all doubt, crystal clear production” and called it a “compelling and captivating album”. Plattentests.de highlighted the “imaginative arrangements” and “cinematic clouds of sound” of the album and awarded it 8/10. Also the band has thus consolidated its reputation internationally.
In September 2012, Collapse Under The Empire released their fourth album, Fragments of a Prayer on their own, newly founded label, Finaltune Records. It was nominated for album of the month in both Zillo and Sonic Seducer. The following year, the 6-track EP, The Silent Cry was released. It was selected by the magazine eclipsed for the top 50 releases of the year 2013.
In May 2014 Collapse Under The Empire completed their concept work with the second album Sacrifice & Isolation , her most ambitious work so far.
After eight years of pure studio work Collapse Under The Empire decided to bring their music live for the first time. The band made their live debut on 7th May 2016 at the Dunk!Festival in Belgium.
In October 2017, Collapse Under The Empire released their sixth album, The Fallen Ones.
Collapse Under the Empire play instrumental post-rock, but influences from other genres such as trip hop, shoegazing, synthpop and progressive hard rock can also be found within. The style of the band was compared to bands like 65daysofstatic and God Is An Astronaut.
Commitment to environmental protection and nature conservation
The band has previously raised money for environmental organisations with two Charity Singles. In 2011 The Silent Death was published in aid of Sharkproject and in 2014 Lost was published in aid of Rettet den Regenwald.
- Systembreakdown (2009)
- Find a Place to Be Safe (2010)
- Shoulders & Giants (2011)
- Fragments of a Prayer (2012)
- Sacrifice & Isolation (2014)
- The Fallen Ones – (2017)
- Paintball (2009)
- The Sirens Sound (2010, mini-Album)
- Black Moon Empire (2011, split-EP)
- The Silent Cry (2013)
- Collapse Under The Empire vs. Cato - The Remixes – (2015)
- Crawling – 2009
- Grade Separation – 2010
- Anthem of 44 – 2010
- Black Moon Empire – 2011 (Split Single)
- The Silent Death – 2011 (Charity Single)
- Disclosure /The Great Silence – 2011 (Double A-side Single)
- There’s No Sky – 2011
- Dragonfly – 2012 (Free-Single)
- Closer – 2012
- Breaking the Light – 2012
- Stjarna – 2013 (Depeche-Mode-Cover)
- We Are Close as This – 2013
- Lost – 2014 (Charity Single)
- Sacrifice/Low – 2014 (Double A-side Single)
- Stairs to the Redemption – 2014
- Giants (live) – 2016 (Single-Video)
- Dark Water – 2017
- The Forbidden Spark – 2017
- Anomaly – 2018
- Issue 283 (February 2010)
- Issue 53, p. 106 (September 2010)
- Issue 154, p. 91 (November 2011)
- Oliver Ding (2011). "Collapse Under The Empire - Shoulders & Giants" (in German). plattentests.de. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Lilith Weyer (2014). "Collapse Under The Empire - Rettet den Regenwald" (in German). visions.de. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Henning Grabow (2011). "Collapse Under The Empire - Shoulders & Giants" (in German). visions.de. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Collapse Große Pläne und ein neues Video: Collapse Under The Empire kündigen ihren Veröffentlichungsplan 2013 an" (in German). visions.de. 2012. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- Issue October 2012
- Issue February 2014
- Luzie Maroscheck (2012). "Collapse Under The Empire - Fragments Of A Prayer" (in German). visions.de. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
- "Collapse Under The Empire supporten Sharkproject" (in German). heartbeatmedia.de. 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-18.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Collapse Under the Empire.|