Colleen V. Chien
|Colleen V. Chien|
September 10, 1973 |
|Alma mater||Stanford University, 1996
UC Berkeley School of Law, 2002
|Employer||Santa Clara University School of Law|
Colleen V. Chien is a law professor at Santa Clara University School of Law, where she teaches Patent Law, International Intellectual Property and Remedies. From 2013 to 2015, she served as a senior advisor for intellectual property and innovation to Todd Park, the U.S. chief technology officer, in the White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP). She has also worked as an attorney at the Silicon Valley law firm Fenwick & West and as an investigative journalist with the Philippine Center for Investigative Journalism as a Fulbright Scholar.
Colleen is best known for her patent scholarship, especially her work on patent “trolls” or patent assertion entities (PAEs). She coined the term PAE in a 2010 law review article, and many lawmakers subsequently adopted the term. She has published empirical studies on how patent litigation impacts startups and venture capitalists, and she has been a vocal proponent of reforming the patent system.
Colleen's work has received substantial recognition. In 2013, Managing Intellectual Property magazine named her one of the "Top 50 IP Thought Leaders in the World" and said that her work has "led the debate in the US [on patent trolls] and been behind many of the recent proposals for reform." In addition, in 2013, she was awarded the inaugural Eric Yamamoto Emerging Scholar Award by the Board of the Conference of Asian Pacific American Law Faculty (CAPALF) and was named a Silicon Valley “Woman of Influence” by the Silicon Valley Business Journal, which called her "one of the most quotable and frequently consulted commentators on the patent system" and said she is "a leader in the national community of intellectual property scholars."
- Santa Clara Law Prof. Colleen Chien Joins White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, SCU, Sept. 13, 2013
- Colleen Chien Biography, Santa Clara University School of Law
- From Arms Race to Marketplace: The New Complex Patent Ecosystem and Its Implications for the Patent System, Hastings Law Journal, Vol. 62, p. 297, December 2010
- FTC-DOJ “Patent Assertion Entities” Workshop, December 10, 2012; Executive Office of the President, Patent Assertion and U.S. Innovation White Paper, June 2013; Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, 35 U.S. Code, sec. 34 (2012).
- Startups and Patent Trolls, Stanford Technology Law Review (2013)
- Patent Assertion and Startup Innovation, New America Foundation, Sept. 2013
- Colleen Chien and Mark Lemley, Patents and the Public Interest, New York Times, December 13, 2011; Randall Rader, Colleen Chien and David Hricik, Make Patent Trolls Pay in Court, New York Times, June 4, 2013.
- “Managing IP Top 50 2013: Colleen Chien”
- Professor Colleen Chien Awarded CAPALF Yamamoto Emerging Scholar Award
- Women of Influence: Colleen Chien, Santa Clara University, Silicon Valley Business Journal, April 5, 2013.