Colombo Hindu College
|Hindu College Colombo|
77 Lorensz Road
|Motto||Tamil: கற்றாங்கு ஒழுகுக|
(Follow what you study)
|Established||12 February 1951|
|Principal||T.P. Parameshwaran (2016 - Present)|
|Color(s)||Chocolate & gold|
Hindu College Colombo or Colombo Hindu College (Tamil: இந்துக் கல்லூரி - கொழும்பு) is a Tamil language National School situated at Bambalapitiya, in the suburb of Colombo, Sri Lanka. It was founded in 1951. Colombo Hindu College is now considered as one of the most prominent Tamil national schools in the city of Colombo due to its reputation in the way of providing education. The words of wisdom of this school is "Proud To Be A Hinduite".Mr. T. Palanivel Parameshwaran is the current Principal of the school who took charge as the position of Principal in late 2016.
The school provides Tamil and English-medium education for pupils aged 6 to 19 years in its Primary and Upper sections. The school consists of Primary section to Advanced Level section. In 2006, there were over 4500 students and 120 teachers. Nearly all the buildings are purpose-built and include the Science Laboratories, the Computer Room, the Library, and the Art facilities.
The College started as Pillaiyaar Paadasaalai (Pillayaar School) on 12 February 1951 by The Hindu Educational Society, Colombo with 55 students with 2 teachers. But now it's standing high with over 4000 students and 250 teachers as the school is regarded as one of the leading government national schools in the country. The first Principal of this school was Mr. Pathmanathan.
The school has four main houses namely; Kambar, Valluvar, Barathi and Illango (the four most important historians in Tamil history) which are used to represent the students at the Sportsmeet which is held annually.The school anthem was written in 1976 mentioning these four houses very often in the anthem.
School flag and emblem
The official school flag was designed and introduced by the former principal of the school, Pathmanathan. The flag has three horizontal stripes, gold in the centre and rest of brown. The college emblem is placed in the centre of the gold stripe. The Hindu College Colombo emblem depicts the motto of the school "Follow what you study".
- "Colombo Hindu College". www.fat.lk. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- Shaman, Eranga. "Education Times - Hindu College Colombo, 04; A temple of learning showing true colours". www.educationtimes.lk. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "Colomboo.lk". colomboo.lk. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- "History – Hindu College Colombo". www.hcc.lk. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "Houses – Hindu College Colombo". www.hcc.lk. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "Anthem – Hindu College Colombo". www.hcc.lk. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "(Photos) Malinga and Kulasekara at Hindu College cricket nets opening ceremony". Island Cricket. Retrieved 2017-03-21.
- "About us – Hindu College – Alumni Association". hinducollegecolombo.com. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- "Flag – Hindu College Colombo". www.hcc.lk. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "Emblem – Hindu College Colombo". www.hcc.lk. Retrieved 2018-02-12.
- "Hindu College Colombo". chc.lk. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Colombohindu.com". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Hello". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- ":: Welcome to Colombo Hindu College Old student's Association of Australia. ::". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Hindu Prefects". hinduprefects.lk. Retrieved 2014-02-16.