Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Look up commute, commutation, commutative, or commutativity in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Commute, commutation or commutative may refer to:
- Commuting, the process of travelling between a place of residence and a place of work
- Commutative property, a property of a mathematical operation whose result is insensitive to the order of its arguments
- Equivariant map, a function whose composition with another function has the commutative property
- Commutative diagram, a graphical description of commuting compositions of arrows in a mathematical category
- Commutative semigroup, commutative monoid, abelian group, and commutative ring, algebraic structures with the commutative property
- Commuting matrices, sets of matrices whose products do not depend on the order of multiplication
Science and technology
- Commutator (electric), a rotary switch on the shaft of an electric motor or generator
- Commutation (neurophysiology), how certain neural circuits in the brain exhibit noncommutativity
- Commutation (telemetry), a form of time-division multiplexing
- Commutation, a synonym for packet switching in computer networking and telecommunications
- Commutation (law) (of sentence), a reduction in severity of punishment
- Commutation (finance) (law) to lessen periodic dues (usually rents, fares or tithes) by paying a lump sum
- Commutation (finance) under a cash option, encashment. The act of a pension scheme member/annuitant who gives up part or all in exchange for a lump sum payment.
disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Commute.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.