Competent Crew is the entry-level course of the Royal Yachting Association for those who wish to be active crew members of a sailing yacht. It is a hands-on course and by the end of the course participants should be able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day-to-day duties on board.
No pre-course knowledge or experience are assumed. The minimum duration of the course is 5 days. It may be run over 5 days or over 3 weekends or 3 days plus a weekend. For those who have done the Start Yachting course, this course can be completed in 3 or 4 days. There is no minimum age.
Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, sail handling, ropework, fire precautions and fighting, personal safety equipment, man overboard, emergency equipment, meteorology, seasickness, helmsmanship, general duties, manners and customs, rules of the road, dinghies.
The Competent Crew course is one of a structured series of courses run by the RYA. Additional courses in the series include Day Skipper Shorebased & Practical, Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Shorebased, Coastal Skipper Practical, .
- "Competent Crew". RYA. Retrieved 2009-09-14. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Competent Crew Course Details". First Class Sailing. Retrieved 19 June 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "RYA Sailing Course Progression Plan". First Class Sailing / RYA.
- "RYA online brochure". Royal Yacht Association.
- Rya Sail Cruising Syllabus and Logbook. Royal Yachting Association. 13 September 2002. ISBN 978-0901501875. Retrieved 13 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Competent Crew. John Wiley & Sons. 29 May 1997. ISBN 978-1898660323. Retrieved 13 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Competent Crew. Adlard Coles Nautical. 30 November 2000. ISBN 978-0713654370. Retrieved 13 April 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)