Construction Industry Council
|Private company limited by guarantee|
|Headquarters||The Building Centre, London, United Kingdom|
|John Nolan (Chairman)
Graham Watts OBE (Chief executive officer)
The Construction Industry Council (CIC) is the representative forum for professional bodies, research organisations and specialist business associations in the United Kingdom construction industry.
Established in 1988 (as the Building Industry Council – it changed its name in April 1990) with just five founder members, CIC provides a single voice for professionals in all sectors of the built environment through its collective membership of 500,000 individual professionals and more than 25,000 firms of construction consultants. The breadth and depth of its membership means that CIC (like a small number of other bodies, including Constructing Excellence) can speak with authority on issues connected with construction without being constrained by the self-interest of any particular sector of the industry.
As representative of the views of professionals, it has a seat on the government/industry body, the Strategic Forum for Construction.
The Construction Industry Council's work is managed on a day-to day basis by a small secretariat which works under the direction of the Chief Executive who is responsible to the Council. The Executive Board acts as the main policy and strategy vehicle of the Council.
Chairmen of the Construction Industry Council and their terms of office:
- Sir Edmund Happold: 1988–1991
- Sir Ian Dixon CBE: 1991–1994
- Robin Wilson CBE: 1994–1996
- Christopher Vickers CBE: 1996–1998
- Robin Nicholson CBE: 1998–2000
- Michael Dickson CBE: 2000–2002
- Turlogh O'Brien CBE: 2002–2004
- Stuart Henderson: 2004–2006
- The Rt Hon Nick Raynsford MP: 2006–2008
- Keith Clarke CBE: 2008–2010
- Gordon Masterton OBE: 2010–2012
- Jack Pringle: 2012–2014
- Tony Burton: 2014–2016
- John Nolan: 2016–2018
The Construction Industry Council has three categories of membership: Full; Associate; and Honorary Affiliate Members.
Full members, as of October 2015 are:
- Association of Consultant Architects
- Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors
- Association for Consultancy and Engineering
- Association for Project Management
- Association for Project Safety
- British Institute of Interior Design
- Building Research Establishment
- Building Services Research and Information Association
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers
- Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers
- Chartered Institute of Housing
- Chartered Institute of Building
- Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors
- Chartered Institution of Highways and Transportation
- Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering
- Construction Industry Research and Information Association
- Consultant Quantity Surveyors Association
- Ground Forum
- Institution of Civil Engineers
- Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate
- Institute of Demolition Engineers
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management
- Institution of Structural Engineers
- Institution of Specialist Surveyors and Engineers
- Local Authority Building Control
- Landscape Institute
- National House-Building Council
- Royal Institute of British Architects
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Royal Town Planning Institute
- "About Us". The Construction Industry Council. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "New chairman for Construction Industry Council (4 July 2016)". Planning and Building Control Today. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Council and Executive Board". The Construction Industry Council. Archived from the original on 2016-10-18. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- CIC appoints Keith Clarke as new Chairman, 11 June 2008
- New Chairman for the Construction Industry Council, 10 June 2010
- CIC appoints three new members to its leadership team, 10 June 2011
- "CIC appoints Tony Burton as its new Chairman". CIC. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2015.