Cookie Jar (song)
|Single by Gym Class Heroes featuring The-Dream|
|from the album The Quilt|
|Released||July 8, 2008 (U.S.)|
August 25, 2008 (UK)
|Genre||Alternative hip hop, Alternative R&B|
|Label||Decaydance, Fueled by Ramen|
|Songwriter(s)||Gym Class Heroes, The-Dream, T-Pain|
|Producer(s)||Christopher "Tricky" Stewart|
|Gym Class Heroes singles chronology|
|The-Dream singles chronology|
"Cookie Jar" is the second single from the Gym Class Heroes album, The Quilt. The song features The-Dream singing the chorus with Travis McCoy. It was released on July 8, 2008 on the Patches from the Quilt - EP. "Cookie Jar" peaked at number fifty nine on the Billboard Hot 100. Outside the United States, the song peaked within the top ten of the charts in the United Kingdom.
The song was written by lead singer Travis McCoy during his year-long relationship with Katy Perry, to describe the temptations a man in a relationship is offered, using the idea of various types of cookie in a reachable jar as an analogy. Guitarist Disashi Lumumba-Kasongo described the song as being based:
"on the kind of dilemma that many guys have, like, they find a girl and then they're like, 'Oh, but I can have this one; it would be so much better.' Then they go to the other girl and they’re like, 'No. ... but I think this would be better.' The lyrics are based on the dilemma of trying to find the girl that makes you feel happy and having trouble with that."
The video premiered on FNMTV on August 15, 2008. The music video has five different scenes. The first scene shows them in a room with blaring lights in the background. The second shows them in a white room singing to the camera. Third, is where the lead singer, Travis McCoy, is in a room with a woman who is supposed to be his girlfriend. Travis is in a room where he is sitting by a cookie jar which is the fourth scene. The fifth scene features Travis again where he is in a room with a greyish background.
The music video has also appeared on the MTV show The Base Chart Show.
In the United States, "Cookie Jar" peaked at number fifty nine on the Billboard Hot 100.
In the United Kingdom, the song debuted at number sixteen on the UK Singles Chart on September 7, 2008 - for the week ending September 13, 2008 - on downloads alone, and went on to peak at number six, becoming Gym Class Hero's third top ten song in Britain at the time following Cupid's Chokehold in May 2007 and Clothes Off!! in August 2007.
In Australia, "Cookie Jar" debuted at number fifty on ARIA Charts on September 22, 2008 - for the week ending September 28, 2008 - and remained there the next week. During its fourth week on the chart, it ascended to number forty four, and in its fifth week, ascended to its peak position of number forty one.
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||91|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||34|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||85|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||65|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||59|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "New UK Single Releases". New UK Single Releases. Archived from the original on 2011-10-02. Retrieved 2008-08-20.
- BE! Interactive. "An Interview With Gym Class Heroes". http://www.mytelus.com/music/interview_details.do?id=779890 January 29, 2009. Retrieved: 8 June 2010.
- "Australian-charts.com – Gym Class Heroes feat. The-Dream – Cookie Jar". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Gym Class Heroes Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: Change the chart to CZ – RADIO – TOP 100 and insert 200836 into search.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Gym Class Heroes feat. The-Dream – Cookie Jar" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Chart Track: Week 39, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200850 into search.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Gym Class Heroes Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "British single certifications – Gym Class Heroes – Cookie Jar". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Cookie Jar in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.