Sir Cosmo Haskard
|Governor of the Falkland Islands|
|Preceded by||Edwin Porter Arrowsmith|
|Succeeded by||Ernest Gordon Lewis|
Cosmo Dugal Patrick Thomas Haskard
25 November 1916
Dublin, Ireland, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
|Died||21 February 2017 (aged 100)|
Tragariff, Bantry Bay, County Cork, Ireland
|Residence||Tragariff, Bantry Bay, County Cork, Ireland|
|Years of service||1938–1966|
|Unit||Royal Irish Fusiliers|
|Battles/wars||Second World War|
|Awards||Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE)|
Sir Cosmo Dugal Patrick Thomas Haskard KCMG MBE (25 November 1916 – 21 February 2017) was an Irish-born British colonial administrator and retired British Army officer. He turned 100 in November 2016 and died on 21 February 2017.
Life and career
Born in Dublin, he was the son of John McDougal and Alicia "Lily" Haskard. Educated at Cambridge University, he served in the university's Officer Training Corps, attaining the rank of cadet company sergeant major; he was commissioned a second lieutenant for service with the infantry unit of the Cambridge OTC contingent on 1 October 1938.
Haskard was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Royal Irish Fusiliers on 1 November 1939, attaining the rank of captain (war-substantive) by the end of the Second World War. He was appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire, Military Division (MBE) in September 1945.
Haskard was promoted to the substantive rank of captain on 1 January 1949, with the honorary rank of major. He relinquished his reserve commission on 25 November 1966, retaining the honorary rank of major. Haskard served as Governor of the Falkland Islands from 1964 to 1970. He was appointed KCMG in the 1965 New Year Honours.
- "It's Downton . . . Irish-style". Independent.ie. 2013-05-05. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
- Daily Telegraph Issue no 50, 317 dated Wednesday 1 March 2017 p27 "Sir Cosmo Haskard Colonial administrator appointed Governor of the Falklands as Britain was winding up its empire"
- "Birthdays". The Independent. 25 November 2016. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- "Death Notice Of SIR COSMO HASKARD, Bantry, Cork, Ireland". Rip.ie. 2017-02-16. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
- "Voices from the Great Houses - Cork and Derry" (PDF). Mercierpress.ie. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
- "No. 34567". The London Gazette. 4 November 1938. p. 6892.
- "No. 34741". The London Gazette (Supplement). 24 November 1939. p. 7952.
- "No. 37262". The London Gazette (Supplement). 11 September 1945. p. 4556.
- "No. 38927". The London Gazette (Supplement). 2 June 1950. p. 2723.
- "No. 44181". The London Gazette (Supplement). 24 November 1966. p. 12822.
- The Colonial Office List. Books.google.ca. 2007-04-02. Retrieved 2017-02-23.
|This article about a British politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|