Craniophora praeclara is a moth of the Noctuidae family. Its distribution includes North Korea, Japan (Hokkaido, Honshu, Shikoku and Kyushu), China (Guizhou (including Fanjingshan), Heilongjiang, Jilin), and the Russian Far East (Lower and Middle Amur, Primorye, Sakhalin, South Kuril Islands).
The species is called ニッコウケンモン in Japanese, 큰쥐똥나무저녁나방 (automated translation: wood pellets evening large moth) in Korean, and 锋首夜蛾 (automated translation: Feng first armyworm) in China.
Graeser's 1890 description described a complex mix of colorations and markings on the wings, a purplish grey head and thorax mixed with fuscous, and a whiteish abdomen "irrorated with fuscous and dorsally tinged with brown towards base, the crests blackish."
- Kiss, Ádám; Gyulai, Peter (2013). "Two new species and one subspecies of Craniophora Snellen, 1867 (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae, Acronictinae) from China". ZooKeys. 353: 61–70. doi:10.3897/zookeys.353.5990. ISSN 1313-2970. PMC . PMID 24294098.
- "Craniophora praeclara (큰쥐똥나무저녁나방)". 박규택교수의 곤충 데이터베이스 (Professor of insects bakgyutaek database) (in Korean). Biological Research Information Center, POSTECH (Pohang University of Science and Technology). 16 December 2013.
- "Taxonomy Browser – Craniophora praeclara (species)". Barcode of Life Data System. BOLD Systems. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Nikko Ken Mon Craniophora praeclara (Graeser, 1890)". An Identification Guide of Japanese Moths Compiled by Everyone (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "锋首页蛾 (Feng first armyworm) Craniophora praeclara Graeser". Insects, mites, spiders specimen standardization (translated from Chinese) (in Chinese). Institute of Entomology, Guizhou University. Archived from the original on 17 December 2013. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Craniophora praeclara". Lepidoptera.ru: an illustrated catalog of the butterflies of the world (in Russian). Lepidoptera.ru. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Zolotarenko, G.S.; Dubatolov, V.V. "Acronictinae (Noctuidae) collection of Siberian Zoological Museum". Siberian Zoological Museum. Novosibirsk, Russia: Institute of Animal Systematics and Ecology, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Toda, Masanori J. "Craniophora praeclara ニッコウケンモン". Taxonomic information database for world species of Drosophilidae. Hokkaido University. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Google Translate". Google, Inc. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Hampson, George F. (1909). Catalogue of the Lepidoptera Phalænæ in the British museum. VIII. London: British Museum. p. 59. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
|This Acronictinae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|