This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Cristina Vergano (born 1960) is an Italian-American fine artist and designer. She was born and raised in Italy, presently living and working in New York City. Her classical, academic painting style offsets the highly imaginative content of her work. A playful, surreal vein runs through the artist's work, along with a subtle feminist concern and a wink to Pop art. Vergano’s paintings have varied subject matter and can be populated with human-animal hybrid creatures, Muslim women in lingerie, flying saucers, word games, and amused references to images by historical artists.
Born in Milano in 1960, Vergano painted and drew since early childhood, her father and grandfather were both fine artists. Cristina Vergano studied at the International School of Milan, Liceo Cassini in Sanremo, and Universita' di Genova.
Frequent and extensive visits to art museums and European travels created in the artist a lasting influence of classical balance and solid technique, while classical studies gave her work a conceptual basis. After obtaining a degree in Italian Letters and Art History,[where?] the artist permanently moved to the United States in 1984.
Having lived in Florida and Georgia, Vergano moved to New York City in 1990, where she expanded her work to industrial design, creating a line of products for New York’s Museum of Modern Art and the Liberty Science Center. In 2013, she co-created a jewelry line with Lisa Lowenstein, Fulva Fusca.
- "Cristina Vergano Biography". www.artnet.com. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- "Human-animal hybrid creatures". artknowledgenews.com. Archived from the original on July 7, 2011. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
Human-animal hybrid creatures
- Shaw, Karen (2009). "Fashion Forward" (PDF). Islip Art Museum. islipartmuseum.org. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
wearing the lacy, sexy attire...
- "Wise Buys: 50 Women Artists Worth Watching". www.blouinartinfo.com. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- "Biography". askart.com. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
Born in Milan, Italy...
- "Classical Style". highbeam.com. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
Classical drapery[dead link]
- "Seen & Heard: Jewelry Sale". Tribeca Citizen. 2013. Retrieved 2019-06-07.