Cubomania is a surrealist method of making collages in which a picture or image is cut into squares and the squares are then reassembled without regard for the image, automatically "or at random," or a collage made using this method, a "rearrangement... suffic[ing] to create an entirely new work." It has been described as a "statistical method". Robert Hirsch has seemed to imply that this process can be done with digital photography.
Although seemingly a contradiction in terms, at least one cubomania has been made with triangular shapes.
Cubomania is done by cutting up an image into squares or rectangles (normally the same size) and reassembling randomly, the outcome is a new image with little resemblance to the starting image.
Penelope Rosemont and Joseph Jablonski have suggested that cubomania, with other surrealist methods, can "subvert the enslaving 'message' of advertising and to free images from repressive contexts."
Using cubomania as a method for arranging soundscapes has been suggested.
This definition of cubomania is to be distinguished from the use of the word to mean "love of cubes" (or, perhaps, Rubik's Cube), or the joke about the possibility of its relating to compulsive dice playing in Shomit Dutta's translation of Aristophanes' The Wasps, and other related uses.
- "EduWho.com". Archived from the original on December 3, 2008. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- Hirsch, Robert (2007). Light and Lens: Photography in the Digital Age. Focal Press. p. 209. ISBN 978-0-240-80855-0.
- "Michelles of Delaware: Originals". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- Rosemont, Franklin (2003). Joe Hill: The IWW & The Making Of A Revolutionary Working Class Counterculture. Charles H. Kerr. p. 500. ISBN 978-0-88286-264-4.
- "Surrealist games - SourceryForge". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- Hirsch, p.209
- Surrealist Experiences: 1001 Dawns, 221 Midnights. Black Swan Press. 2000. p. 125. ISBN 978-0-941194-43-3.
- "Fine Art prints 3D Surrealism Pictures Neo-surrealism Art". Archived from the original on 2007-10-28. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "U B U W E B :: Gherasim Luca". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "Dain's Blog: Surrealism - The Techniques (cubomania)". Archived from the original on May 27, 2011. Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- "The Rubik's cube history". Retrieved 2007-09-21.
- Frogs and Other Plays (Penguin Classics). 2007. p. 11. ISBN 978-0-14-044969-3.
- "MEDCICLOPEIDA". Retrieved 2007-09-21.