|Developer(s)||David Braam, Ultimaker|
3.4.0 / June 26, 2018
|Written in||C++, Python, QML|
|Operating system||Windows, macOS, GNU/Linux|
|Available in||15 languages|
|Type||3D printer slicing application|
|License||Free and open-source LGPLv3|
Cura is an open source 3D printer slicing application. It was created by David Braam who was later employed by Ultimaker, a 3D printer manufacturing company, to maintain the software. Cura is available under LGPLv3 license. Cura was initially released under the open source Affero General Public License version 3, but on 28 September 2017 the license was changed to LGPLv3. This change allowed for more integration with third-party CAD applications. Development is hosted on GitHub. Ultimaker Cura is used by over one million users worldwide and it is the preferred 3D printing software for Ultimaker 3D printers, but it can be used with other printers as well.
Ultimaker Cura works by slicing the user’s model file into layers and generating a printer-specific g-code. Once finished, the g-code can be sent to the printer for the manufacturing the physical object.
The open source software is compatible with most desktop 3D printers can work with files in the most common 3D formats such as STL, OBJ, X3D, 3MF as well as image file formats such as BMP, GIF, JPG, and PNG.
Major software versions
7-Jun-2016 Ultimaker announced the new Cura major release 2.1.2, superseding the previous 15.04.6 version (note the non-sequentiality in the major version numbers).
Sept 2016 Version 2.3 was a major release. It includes new printing profiles, slicing features, as well as increasing speed. It also supported the dual extrusion possible with the Ultimaker 3 model
17-Oct-2017 The current major version, Version 3.0 updated the user interface and allowed for CAD integration. This was the first version with plugin support.
Nov 2017 - Cura Connect was released to enable users to control, monitor, and configure a group of network-enabled 3D printers from a single interface.
Note Later versions of Cura do not support USB connected printer. If if have a USB only printer or wish to use USB connectivity Cura is not usable.
Release 3.0 introduced plugin capability. Users can develop their own plugins or use plugins commercially available. Plugins simplify workflow for users by allowing them to quickly perform tasks like opening a file from a menu or exporting a file from an application.
Cura supports includes the following printers:
- All Ultimaker printers
- 3DMaker Starter
- ABAX PRi3
- ABAX PRi5
- ABAX Titan
- AXPRO D7 series
- BQ Hephestos 2
- BQ Prusa i3 Hephestos
- BQ Prusa i3 Hephestos XL
- BQ Witbox
- BQ Witbox 2
- Builder Premium Large
- Builder Premium Medium
- Builder Premium Small
- Creality CR-10
- Creality CR-10 S4
- Creality CR-10 S5
- Dagoma DiscoEasy200
- Delta Go
- Deltacomb 3D
- EastArts Ares
- FABtotum Personal Fabricator
- Folger Tech FT-5
- German RepRap Neo
- Hello BEE Prusa
- IMADE3D JellyBOX
- Innovo INVENTOR
- Kemiq Q2 Beta
- Kemiq Q2 Gama
- Kossel Mini
- Kossel Pro
- MAKEiT Pro-L
- MakeiT Pro-M
- Malyan M180
- Mankati Fullscale XT Plus
- Peopoly Moai
- Printrbot Play
- Printrbot Play (Heated Bed)
- Printrbot Simple
- Printrbot Simple Metal Extended
- Prusa i3
- Prusa i3 Mk2
- Prusa i3 XL
- Punchtec Connect XL
- Raise3D N2 Dual
- Raise3D N2 Plus Dual
- Raise3D N2 Plus Single
- Raise3D N2 Single
- Renkforce RF100
- Rigid3D 3rdGen
- Rigid3D Hobby
- Rigid3D Zero
- Rigid3D Zero2
- Robo 3D R1
- Tevo Tarantula
- Type A Machines Series 1 2014
- Vertex Delta K8800
- Vertex K8400
- Vertex K8400 Dual
- Zone3d Printer
- makeR Pegasus
- makeR Prusa Tairona i3
Cura can also be customised to support printers other than those listed above running a wide range of firmware such as Marlin, Repetier, Griffin, Mach3 and Makerbot. For example, UK-based CEL, manufacturer of the Robox 3d printer, uses Cura as underlying slicing core for its Automaker printing application.
On August 31, 2014 Cura was included in a review of 3D slicing software by Think3DPrint3D
On May 29, 2017, PrinterChat recognized Cura as the preferred slicing software for use in classrooms or maker spaces based on price and user interface.
On January 1, 2018, All3DP named Cura one of the best 3D slicer software tools.
- "Cura home page". Ultimaker. Ultimaker. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Cura Github development page". GitHub. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Changing AGPLv3 to LGPLv3". GitHub. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Ultimaker Cura and Cura Connect launch at TCT 2017". Retrieved 2018-05-17.
- "Which 3rd party printers are supported?". Ultimaker. Ultimaker. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "17 Best 3D Slicer Software Tools for 3D Printers (Most are Free) | All3DP". All3DP. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Cura 2.1.2 has been released".
- "Cura 2.3 Update: New Features, Major Improvements on the 3D Slicer | All3DP". All3DP. 2016-09-02. Retrieved 2018-05-18.
- "Ultimaker launches Cura 3.0 slicing software". Retrieved 2018-05-18.
- Davies, Sam (2017-11-07). "Ultimaker announces availability of Cura Connect". TCT Magazine. Retrieved 2018-05-18.
- "Cura 3.0 Brings Shiny UI, Fractal Infill Patterns, and 3rd Party Plugins | All3DP". All3DP. 2017-10-17. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- 4DR, DEVELOP3D, X3D Media Ltd. 465C Hornsey Road, 1st floor, Unit 7, London N19. "DEVELOP3D blog - Ultimaker Cura software adds 3rd-party CAD integration and 3D print farm management". DEVELOP3D. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- "MakePrintable Integrates with Cura — MakePrintable.com". MakePrintable.com. 2017-10-23. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- Davies, Sam (2018-03-15). "Ultimaker integrates HP 3D scanning technology with Cura 3D printing software". TCT Magazine. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- "Slicing software printed support review - evaluating Slic3r, Cura and Meshmixer". blog.think3dprint3d.com. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Cura Gets a Facelift: Ultimaker Releases Overhaul on Cura Software | 3DPrint.com | The Voice of 3D Printing / Additive Manufacturing". 3dprint.com. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Ultimaker releases the latest version of their free Cura software". 3ders.org. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Big Updates for 3D Printing Slicers | Make:". Make: DIY Projects and Ideas for Makers. 2015-07-10. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "Cura – Best 3D Printing Slicers Roundup Part 2 | 3D Printer Chat". 3D Printer Chat. 2017-03-30. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- McCue, TJ. "3D Printer Farms And Robotics Start Pointing To Future Of Manufacturing". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "3D Printing News Roundup: DSM, Toyota Motorsport, Aurora Labs, Worley Parsons, Ultimaker, XJet and more". 3ders.org. Retrieved 2018-06-06.