Department of Health and Social Security
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Department of Health and Social Security (commonly known as the DHSS) was a ministry of the British government in existence for twenty years from 1968 until 1988, and was headed by the Secretary of State for Health and Social Services.
In 2001 the Department for Work and Pensions was formed from the Department of Social Security, absorbing the employment functions which had previously been the responsibility of the Department for Education and Employment since the dissolution of the Department of Employment in 1995.
Even two and a half decades after its abolition, the initials "DHSS" continued to be used by the general public to describe the Department for Work and Pensions or some of the benefits it provides (such as Income Support).
References in popular culture
- Half Man Half Biscuit the notable cynico-rock group from The Wirral, UK, named their first album "Back in The DHSS" as a pun on the earlier single by The Beatles ("Back in The USSR") and a nod to the growing unemployment under the Thatcher regime of the 1980s.
- UB40 (a reggae group from Birmingham, whose first album was released in 1980) was named after the form issued by the DHSS to those claiming unemployment benefit, the full name of which was Unemployment Benefit form 40.
- Punk poet Attila the Stockbroker's poem "Russians in the DHSS" satirized the Cold War threat of the Soviet Union in Thatcher-era Britain.
- "Biography". UB40 official website. United Kingdom: Box UK. Archived from the original on 2009-06-15. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
UB40's first album was released in September 1980.Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Ub40 Biography". BiggestStars.com. Archived from the original on 2008-12-04. Retrieved 2009-06-02.
The name "UB40" was selected in reference to a paper form issued by the UK government's Department of Health and Social Security at the time of the band's formation for claiming unemployment benefit. The designation UB40 stood for Unemployment Benefit, Form 40.Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do)". YouTube. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
|This article related to government in the United Kingdom or its constituent countries is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|