|Birth name||Oladapo Olaitan Olaonipekun|
|Also known as||Barack O'Grin, Lyrical Werre, Fi mi le Jo.|
October 21, 1987|
|Died||April 23, 2010
Lagos, Mushin, Nigeria
|Associated acts||Sossick, D.J Spaclare, D.J Neptune, M.I, 9ice, Reminisce,Konga, Omawunmi, TGBT Entertainment, Ruggedman, Kode, OritseFemi, Kenny St. Brown, Sheyman, Dr. Frabz, Frenzy|
Oladapo Olaitan Olaonipekun, also known as Dagrin (21 October 1987 – 22 April 2010), was an award winning Nigerian rapper from Ogun, Nigeria. A film of his life entitled Ghetto Dreamz was released in April 2011.
Dagrin's home was in Meiran, Alagbado, Lagos. His style of rapping incorporated Yoruba, English and Pidgin English. In 2010 he was nominated for the Nigerian Entertainment Awards for Best Album (C.E.O.), Hottest Single "Pon Pon Pon", Best Rap Act and Best Collaboration with vocals. His album C.E.O. (Chief executive Omota English: Chief Executive Gangster) won the Hip hop World Award 2010 for best rap album. From it came the singles "Pon Pon Pon", and "Kondo". Dagrin worked with other Nigerian artists such as Y.Q, 9ice, M.I, Iceberg Slim,omobaba,terry g,code,MISTAR DOLLAR, TMD entertainment, omowumi, chudy k, Bigiano, and Konga. He associated with music producers like Sossick, Dr Frabz, Sheyman, and Frenzy.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (March 2011)|
Dagrin's single "Pon Pon Pon" has some cultural significance, it talks about the life style in Lagos, Agege,Ifewara, Mushin, Ikeja, Surulere, Isale Eko, and many other parts of south western Nigeria where life in the slums mixes up with life in the affluent cities and parts of Lagos Nigeria. His songs touch upon ethnicity, pride, while surviving the streets of Lagos and a hint of criticism elderly people hurls against bad behaviour.
The music video proudly displays young people in their twenties and early thirties proudly displaying their tribal marks in retrospect of the old Yoruba empire of Ile-Ife.
Awards and nominations
- 2010 Hip Hop World Awards - Best Rap Album
- 2010 Hip Hop World Awards - Artiste of the Year
- "A shining star dimmed too soon – Rising Nigerian Musician DaGrin has passed away". Bella Naija. 2010-04-22. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Dagrin: The Life of an Artiste". Nationaldailyngr.com. 2011-04-30. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "NEA Awards 2010 Nominees – Da Grin & Omawumi Shine". Jaguda.com. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "Hip-Hop World Awards 2010 Winners". Jaguda.com. Retrieved 2011-06-05.
- "BN Bytes: Trailer & Posters for "Ghetto Dreamz" – The Da Grin Biopic". Bella Naija. 2011-03-09. Retrieved 2011-06-05.