Dai Royston Bevan
|Full name||David Royston Bevan|
Pontypridd district, Wales
|Died||12 April 2008
Heywood, Greater Manchester, England
David "Dai" Royston "Roy" Bevan (1928 – 12 April 2008) was a Welsh rugby union and professional rugby league footballer of the 1950s, playing club level rugby union (RU) for Oldham RUFC, and playing representative level rugby league (RL) for Great Britain, and Wales, and at club level for Wigan, and Halifax, as a Wing, i.e. number 2 or 5.
Championship Final appearances
Dai Bevan played for Wigan during the 1951–52 season, but not in Wigan's 13-6 victory over Dewsbury in the Rugby Football League Championship Final during the 1951–52 season at Leeds Road, Huddersfield on Saturday 10 May 1952.
Challenge Cup Final appearances
Dai Bevan played Left-Wing, i.e. number 5, in Halifax's 4-4 draw with Warrington in the 1954 Challenge Cup Final during the 1953–54 season at Wembley Stadium, London on Saturday 24 April 1954, in front of a crowd of 81,841, and played Left-Wing in the 4-8 defeat by Warrington in the 1954 Challenge Cup Final replay during the 1953–54 season at Odsal Stadium, Bradford on Wednesday 5 May 1954, in front of a record crowd of 102,575 or more.
Bevan's exact date of birth is not known, but his birth was registered in January–March 1928 in Pontypridd district Following his retirement from rugby league, Dai Bevan lived in Middleton near Rochdale, and became a teacher at Moorclose School (now named Middleton Technical School).
- Williams, Graham; Lush, Peter; Farrar, David (2009). The British Rugby League Records Book. London League. pp. 108–114. ISBN 978-1-903659-49-6.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Edgar, Harry (2007). Rugby League Journal Annual 2008 Page-110. Rugby League Journal Publishing. ISBN 0-9548355-3-0
- "1951–1952 Championship Final". wigan.rlfans.com. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- "Mud, blood and memories of the day when 102,575 made history at Odsal". independent.co.uk. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Birth details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.