Dubin practiced medicine in Tampa, Florida, and gained fame within the medical community with the 1972 publication of Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, a best-selling textbook suited for medical students and junior residents. In it, Dubin adopts a simplistic fill-in-the-blank style to teach the basics of reading electrocardiograms. In the fiftieth printing of the book, he hid within the copyright notice an offer to give his prized 1965 Ford Thunderbird to anyone who actually read the message and responded. Out of 60,000 copies in that printing, only 5 readers noticed and responded, and Dubin's own daughter delivered the car to the winner (selected by a random drawing). Dubin also wrote Adventure in the Heartland: Exploring the Heart's Ionic-Molecular Microcosm and Understanding Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation.
Dubin, then age 46, was arrested in 1986 and pled guilty to charges related to child pornography and cocaine. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison and his Florida medical license was revoked.
- Fine print redux: beneficent doctor made child pornos, Yale Daily News, 7 December 2001
- Sullivan, Patrick (2001). "Book Review: Rapid Interpretation of EKG's, 6th edition". Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 48: 1050.
- Dubin, Dale (2000). Rapid Interpretation of EKG's (6th ed.). Tampa, FL: Cover Publishing. ISBN 0-912912-06-5.
- Dubin, Dale (2003). Ion Adventure in the Heartland: Exploring the Heart's Ionic-Molecular Microcosm. Cover Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-912912-11-0.
- Dubin, Dale (1972). Understanding Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation. C.P.R. Inc.
- Nossiter, Adam (1986). "Doctor's arrest upsets his nudist neighbors". St. Petersburg Times.
- "Deep Trouble Undercut Doctor's Fine Success". Orlando Sentinel. 1 September 1986.
- "Dale Dubin Sentenced To Five Years". United Press International. 7 March 1987.
- Dale Dubin: Pornography and Prison - Scrub Notes: A Blog For Med Students, 9/21/2007.
|This biographical article related to medicine in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|