Dan Avey (April 26, 1941 – August 15, 2010) was a radio personality and newscaster who worked for over 30 years in the Los Angeles area and received more than 30 major journalism awards including 15 Golden Mikes. Avey died from cancer at Cedars Sinai on August 15, 2010. He had been fighting the disease for five years, including during much of his stay at KABC.
Avey started his radio career at KXLY in Spokane, Washington during his freshman year in college. From 1972 to 1976, he served as the analyst on Los Angeles Kings broadcasts, where he originally was paired with Jiggs McDonald, and later with Roy Storey and Bob Miller, who like Avey has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
In 1976, he started at all-news KFWB, and in 1978 he also had a short stint at KWIZ in Santa Ana. In 1986, he left KFWB when he was hired by KFI to join Gary Owens' new morning show. Avey later became the newsman for Geoff Edwards' midday talk show at KFI. When Edwards left the station in March 1989, Avey and two other people associated with the show were fired a few days later, and Avey returned to KFWB where he worked for the next twelve years.
In late 2007, Avey left KABC.
- "TalkRadio 790 KABC's Dan Avey to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame" (Press release). KABC. 2006-04-24. Archived from the original on 2011-05-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Los Angeles Radio People, Where Are They Now, A
- "Full-service Gary Owens". Los Angeles Daily News. 1986-09-09.
- Puig, Claudia (1989-03-10). "KFI Fires Three Associated With Geoff Edwards Show". Los Angeles Times.
- "Bears and Dolphins Will Be Going After Some Big Numbers". Los Angeles Times. 1985-11-29.
- "Radio personality Dan Avey celebrated birthday with 2310th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame" (Press release). Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. 2006-04-26. Archived from the original on 2008-04-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- http://laradio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=682:veteran-newsman-dan-avey-dies&catid=14:lead-stories[permanent dead link]