This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Danava in 2014.
|Origin||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Genres||Hard rock, psychedelic rock, stoner rock, heavy metal|
|Past members||Zachariah Dellorto-Blackwell
Danava (pronounced DON-UH-VUH) is an American hard rock band from Portland, Oregon. Its music fits into the categories of heavy metal, progressive rock and psychedelic rock. Danava is influenced by early hard rock, progressive rock and heavy metal.
Danava was formed in 2003 by Gregory Meleney, Monte Mattsson, Zachariah Dellorto-Blackwell and Ben Vargas. Meleney and Mattsson had known each other as teenagers in Quincy, Illinois. They met Dellorto-Blackwell later and moved to Portland, Oregon, where they met Vargas. They released a demo together in 2004. In 2005 Vargas left the band and was replaced by Jarred Rockwell on synthesizers just before the band signed with Kemado Records. This four piece toured extensively and recorded their self-titled album in 2006 and UnonoU in 2008. Meleney plays 98% of all the keyboards on both records.
In summer 2008, Rockwell left the band for other musical pursuits on the east coast. In September 2009, Mattsson left the group to pursue his studies in biology and was replaced by Matthew Oliver. Andrew Forgash, a rhythm guitarist, also joined at this time.
In 2011 the album Hemisphere of Shadows was released leading to several European tours.
Danava have toured with Down (twice), Voivod, Melvins, Acid Mothers Temple, Witchcraft(3X), Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Lecherous Gaze, Thrones, Weedeater, Gentlemans Pistols and played at the 2008 Roadburn Festival in the Netherlands and Muskelrock in Sweden, 2013.
In 2013 Bass player Dellorto-Blackwell left the band for other musical pursuits. Which included joining Serpent's Caul, a Portland-based experimental rock band which Monte Mattsson now drums for. He was replaced by Dominic Casciato. Shortly after, Forgash left the group to pursue a career in a different field and was replaced by rhythm guitar player Peter Hughes.
- Gregory Meleney - vocals, guitar, synthesizers
- Dominic Casciato - bass guitar
- Matthew Oliver - drums
- Peter Hughes - guitar
- A four song demo with versions of "By The Mark", "Eyes In Disguise" and "Longdance", and an unreleased song, "Jack". Recorded by Johnny Jewel in 2004
- Danava CD/LP (2006 Kemado Records)
- UnonoU CD/LP (2008 Kemado Records)
- Hemisphere of Shadows CD/LP (2011 Kemado Records)
- "Quiet Babies Astray in a Manger" 12" (2006 Kemado Records)
- "Where Beauty & Terror Dance" 7" (2007 Kemado Records)
- "Danava/Earthless/Lecherous Gaze" Split 12" (2011 Kemado Records)
- "Danava/Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats" Split 7"(2011 Kemado Records)
- "Heavy Devil Star Crash-The 2004 Demos" 12"(2013 Unseen Forces Records)
- "Grave Command-exclusive track on compilation: Grave Command"(Unseen Forces)
|This article on a United States rock music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|