The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (December 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Yale University, Tisch School of the Arts|
Daniel Shiffman (born July 29, 1973) is a computer programmer, a member of the Board of Directors of the Processing Foundation, and an Associate Arts Professor at the Interactive Telecommunications Program (ITP) at New York University Tisch School of the Arts. Shiffman received a BA in Mathematics and Philosophy from Yale University and a master's degree from the ITP.
His early artworks Swarm #1 (2002), Swarm #2 (2002), and Swarm #3 (2004) explored algorithms to create patterns of virtual flocking birds based on Craig Reynolds’s Boids model as real-time digital brush strokes generated from live video input, producing an organic painterly effect in real time. Prior to his interests in open source and visual art, Shiffman was the producing director at P73 Productions Inc., a small New York theater company he started with some friends from Yale.
- Daniel Shiffman. 2004. Swarm. In ACM SIGGRAPH 2004 Emerging technologies (SIGGRAPH '04), Heather Elliott-Famularo (Ed.). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 26.
- Daniel Shiffman. 2004. Reactive. In ACM SIGGRAPH 2004 Emerging technologies (SIGGRAPH '04), Heather Elliott-Famularo (Ed.). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 22.
- Schwendener, Martha. "Populism, Technology and Interactivity: Review." New York Times, Lateition (East Coast) ed.: NJ.13. 2011.
- Fox, Catherine. "Artistic Leap Savannah Museum Gets High-Profile Addition: Main Edition." The Atlanta Journal - Constitution: G.1. 2006.
- Bayliss, Sarah. "What if Jackson Pollock were a PC?" New York Times, Lateition (East Coast) ed.: 2.41. 2003.
- Marriott, Michel. "I Don't Know Who You are, but You're Toast." The New York Times 1998.
- Processing Foundation
- Daniel Shiffman NYU Faculty Profile
- Daniel Shiffman NYU Alumni
- [Barrass, Tim, et al. "Smart Art Gallery." Leonardo 47.1 (2014): 8-16].
- P73 Board of Directors
- New York Times review
- Playlists by Daniel Shiffman
- Nature of Code MOOC from Processing Foundation
- Shiffman, Daniel, Shannon Fry, and Zannah Marsh. The Nature of Code. United States: D. Shiffman, 2012.
- Shiffman, Daniel. Learning Processing: A Beginner's Guide to Programming Images, Animation, and Interaction. Amsterdam; Boston; Morgan Kaufmann/Elsevier, 2008.
- Populism, Technology and Interactivity: Review
- New York Times review