Winkler has been making knives since 1977 and is a certified Mastersmith with the American Bladesmith Society and designed and built the knives and tomahawks for the 1992 motion picture The Last of the Mohicans.
Winkler was primarily known for his Native-American or pioneer-style influenced designs until 2012. In that year Winkler became involved with military and tactical knives and tomahawks.
Winkler is also credited in the New York Times for having his hatchets used by the Navy Seals, particularly Seal Team 6. http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/world/asia/the-secret-history-of-seal-team-6.html?_r=3&referrer=
- Haskew, Mike (2003-09-01). "Pipe Hawks". 30 (9). Blade Magazine. pp. 26–34.
- Haskew, Mike (2006-09-01). "Star-Spangled Hawks Take Wing". 33 (9). Blade Magazine. pp. 30–37.
- Nickens, Edward (2004). Legend of the Bowie. Field & Stream. pp. 73–75. ISSN 8755-8599.
- Kertzman, Joe (15 August 2013). Knives 2014: The World's Greatest Knife Book. Iola, Wisconsin: F+W Media. p. 53. ISBN 978-1-4402-3700-3.
- Haskew, M.: "Sayoc Tomahawk",Blade Magazine, June 2009