He was killed in the church by a masked gunman on November 19, 2009. Sysoev was known for his missionary activity, including among Russia's Muslim community, neo-Pagans, and Protestants. In December 2009, Sysoev's murder was claimed by a militant Islamic group based in the North Caucasus. According to a statement made by Russian Islamists and released on kavkazcenter.com,
Sysoev's sermons were published in a series of books. Explaining the teaching of the Orthodox Church, Sysoev used the term 'Uranopolitism'.
- "Russian Priest Killed in Church". The New York Times. 20 November 2009. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Murder Highlights Missionary Role In Russian Church". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- Islamists claim killing of Russian priest
- Julia Sysoeva: About Fr Daniel, Happiness, Miracles and Martyrdom (in Russian)
- Ручьёв (28 November 2009). "The Final Interview with Father Daniel Sysoyev: Hasten to Heaven!". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Hieromonk Job Gumerov. Can One Consider the Death of Father Daniel Sysoev to be a Martyrdom? / OrthoChristian.Com". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Podcasts on New Martyr Fr. Daniel Sysoev". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- 35 Years Of Life. About Fr. Daniel Sysoev Pravoslavie.ru, Dec 21 2009 (in Russian)
- "Interfax-Religion". Retrieved 5 December 2016.
|This Russian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|