Danny Care (soccer)
|Full name||Daniel James Care|
|Date of birth||June 20, 1974|
|Place of birth||Peachtree City, Georgia, United States|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|1998||→ Richmond Kickers (loan)|
|1998||→ Hampton Roads Mariners (loan)|
|1998||→ Project 40 (loan)||20||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
In 1993, Care graduated from McIntosh High School where he was part of the 1992 Georgia State High School championship soccer team. He played his club soccer with the Fayette Lightning which also won the 1991, 1992 and 1993 Georgia State championship. He was a 1992 and 1993 NSCAA High School All American soccer player. Care attended the Clemson University, playing on the men's soccer team from 1993 to 1996. He was a 1996 Third Team All American. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in business management.
On February 1, 1997, D.C. United selected Care in the first round (eleventh overall) of the 1997 MLS College Draft. On February 6, 1997, the Richmond Kickers selected Care in the second round of the USISL A-League draft. Care did not join D.C. for its pre-season training camp in order to complete his degree. Therefore, he then signed with the Carolina Dynamo on May 1, 1997. In February 1998, United drafted Care for a second time when they took him in the first round (ninth overall) of the 1998 MLS Supplemental Draft. D.C. sent Care on loan to the Richmond Kickers, Hampton Roads Mariners and Project 40 during the season. He saw time in only one first team game before being waived on November 2, 1998. However, he was on the bench for United when they defeated Vasco da Gama in the 1998 Copa Interamericana. In March 1999, Care signed with the Richmond Kickers but was sent to the Jacksonville Cyclones early in the season. In May 2000, he signed with the Atlanta Silverbacks. He spent two seasons with the Silverbacks before being released in February 2002.
- McIntosh brings home state soccer title The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution - Thursday, May 21, 1992
- 1992 High School All Americans
- 1993 High School All Americans
- 1996 All Americans
- OLD NEMESIS SIGNS WITH DYNAMO Greensboro News & Record - Thursday, May 1, 1997
- Carolina Dynamo All Time Player Roster
- KICKERS BLAST USE OF SUSPENDED PLAYERS - PROJECT 40 PAIR TOOK FIELD UNDER RED-CARD PENALTIES Richmond Times-Dispatch - Friday, June 19, 1998
- UNITED FACES VASCO TONIGHT INTERAMERICAN CUP AT STAKE IN ARENA'S LAST MATCH FOR D.C. Miami Herald, The (FL) - Saturday, December 5, 1998
- Cyclones' playoff hopes dim with shootout loss The Florida Times-Union - Monday, August 16, 1999
- SOCCER : Back home, honing his edge - Former McIntosh star Danny Care 's first injuries have made him aware of his game's mental aspect. The Atlanta Journal and The Atlanta Constitution - Thursday, March 16, 2000