|Also known as||Darek Oles|
February 20, 1963 |
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, arranger, educator|
Darek Oleszkiewicz (born February 20, 1963), also known as Darek Oles, is a Polish jazz bassist, composer, arranger, and educator.
Oleszkiewicz was born in Wrocław on February 20, 1963. He was a protégé of Charlie Haden. In the late 1990s and early 2000s he built a reputation on the West Coast of the United States. His first album as leader was Like a Dream, which consisted largely of his own compositions. It included quartet and trio tracks, and duets with pianist Brad Mehldau. He had earlier played on Mehldau's Largo. Oleszkiewicz was featured prominently on guitarist Larry Koonse's 2006 album Storybook.
In 2010 Oleszkiewicz was a co-leader with Peter Erskine, Bob Mintzer, and Alan Pasqua on the album Standards 2: Movie Music. Oleszkiewicz was co-leader with Adam Czerwniński for the album Raindance.
Oleszkiewicz is a faculty member at California Institute of the Arts, and at the University of Southern California. He continues to record, including on trombonist Bob McChesney's Chez Sez in 2015, and with other USC faculty members, including on Kait Dunton's Mountain Suite in the same year.
On his debut as leader, Oleszkiewicz's style was described as containing "the inevitable lineage to Scott LaFaro and Bill Evans, [...and] combines a certain economy of style that is reminiscent of Charlie Haden". The woodiness of his tone was also compared with Haden's, with the addition of "a certain Gary Peacock-like edge to it".
- Like a Dream (Cryptogramophone)
- Raindance (Allegro), co-led with Adam Czerwniński
- Standards 2: Movie Music (Fuzzy Music), co-led with Peter Erskine, Bob Mintzer, Alan Pasqua
With Bill Cunliffe
- Live at Bernies (2001)
With Kait Dunton
- Mountain Suite (2012)
With Yelena Eckemoff
- Flying Steps (2010)
With Peter Erskine
- The Interlochen Concert (2009)
With Terry Gibbs
- Wham (1999)
With Anna Maria Jopek
- Upojenie (2003)
- Barefoot (2002)
- Bosa (2000)
With Larry Koonse
- Storybook (2006)
With Charles Lloyd
- The Water Is Wide (1999)
With Bennie Maupin
- Penumbra (2003)
With Bob McChesney
- Chez Sez (2015)
With Brad Mehldau
- Largo (2002)
With Josh Nelson
- Let It Go (2007)
With Sara Niemietz
- Fountain & Vine (2015)
With Jack Nimitz
- Live at Capozzoli's (1997)
With Alan Pasqua
- My New Old Friend (2005)
With Bobby Shew
- Play the Music of Reed Kotler (2001)
With David Sills
- Big (2002)
With Gavin Templeton
- Asterperious Special (2012)
With Ben Wendel
- Simple Song (2009)
With Mike Wofford
- Time Cafe (2001)
With Aga Zaryan
- A Book of Luminous Things (2011)
- "Darek Oles". USC Thornton School of Music. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Heimbauer, Gary (December 2010) "Bob Mamet". Jazz Inside. p. 44.
- Kelman, John (September 19, 2004) "Darek Oleszkiewicz: Like a Dream". AllAboutJazz.
- Dryden, Ken "Darek Oleszkiewicz – Like a Dream". AllMusic. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- Cook and Morton 2008, p. 989.
- Cook and Morton 2008, p. 841.
- Nemeyer, Eric (May 2010) "Peter Erskine". Jazz Inside. p. 33.
- "Adam Czerwniński & Darek Oleszkiewicz 'Raindance'". Allegro Records. Retrieved December 12, 2016.
- "Darek Oles". California Institute of the Arts. Retrieved December 31, 2016.
- Woodard, Josef (June 2015) "Bob McChesney – Stepping into the Spotlight". Down Beat. p. 23.
- O'Connell, Sean J. (December 2015) "Kait Dunton – Intricate Trio Sounds". Down Beat. p. 24.
- Cook and Morton 2008.