Data Sharing for Demographic Research
|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (January 2015)|
Data Sharing for Demographic Research (DSDR) is a research data-sharing project funded by the Population Dynamics Branch (PDB) of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). DSDR disseminates, archives, and preserves data for population studies.
The mission of DSDR is to serve as a locus of information for researchers who collect, analyze, and distribute primary data as well as researchers who analyze secondary data. DSDR aims to foster interdisciplinary collaborations between Demography and other disciplines.
DSDR is located within the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR), a unit of the Institute for Social Research (ISR) at the University of Michigan.
The DSDR project established the basis for a shared data infrastructure to support demographers housed in NICHD-funded population centers and researchers whose data have particular relevance to demographic research. DSDR staff provide assistance with public-use and restricted-use data dissemination, data and metadata preparation, and long-term, secure archiving of data.
DSDR distributes public-use and restricted-use studies including those with national, international, and small-area geographies; longitudinal panel and repeated cross-sectional designs; genomic data; and biomarkers. From the DSDR website, data users can:
- Download public-use data ready for use in a variety of statistical packages;
- Search for studies, variables, and data-related publications;
- Compare variables across studies;
- Analyze data, create new variables, and generate custom subsets online without specialized software
- View survey instruments and measures used for data collection;
- Explore a catalog of NICHD-funded projects; and
- Access tutorials, videos, and receive technical assistance.