|57th Mayor of Dunedin|
27 October 2010
|Preceded by||Peter Chin|
1 April 1950 |
Invercargill, New Zealand
|Political party||Greater Dunedin|
|Residence||Portobello Road, Otago Peninsula, Dunedin|
David Charles "Dave" Cull, JP (born 1 April 1950) is the mayor of the city of Dunedin in New Zealand. He became the 57th Mayor of Dunedin in October 2010 and was re-elected in the 2013 mayoralty race. Before politics, he was a presenter for Television New Zealand and an author.
Early life and career before politics
Cull was born and grew up in Invercargill, where he attended Southland Boys' High School. He obtained a BA and PG Dip in political science at the University of Otago. He has worked as a television presenter for Television New Zealand, hosting lifestyle and home improvement shows including Home Front, and is a writer who has published several books. He is married to Joan Wilson and they have two daughters.
He was elected as councillor to Dunedin City Council in 2007. During his time as a councillor, he opposed the new stadium, which has since become a financial drain on the council. In the 2010 Dunedin mayoral election, he was one of seven candidates, one of whom was incumbent mayor Peter Chin. Cull stood as part of the Greater Dunedin group and was successful.
Cull has expressed support for a controversial planned waterfront hotel that at 28 storeys, would tower over much of the city. In March 2014, Cull entered a memorandum of understanding with the developer on behalf of Dunedin City Council, but the agreement fell over and was terminated a month later, which meant the end of the project.
In January 2013, Cull announced that he would seek re-election in that year's mayoral election. On election day, he beat ex ACT MP Hilary Calvert, Councillor Lee Vandervis, and six other challengers.
- Cull, Dave (1998). New Zealand Backyard DIY Projects. Hyndman Publishing.
- Cull, Dave (2000). You Can Paint It!: Techniques and Tips. Hyndman Publishing.
- Cull, Dave (2000). Kitchen Essentials. Hyndman Publishing.
- Cull, Dave; Jaquiery, Stephen (2007). Icebergs: The Antarctic Comes to Town. Dunedin: Longacre Press.
- Cull, Dave (2009). Big Weather South. Dunedin: Longacre Press.
- "Gallery full as Cull sworn in". Otago Daily Times. 27 October 2010. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "Mayor Dave Cull". Dunedin City Council. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Dave Cull". Elections2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Dave Cull". Television New Zealand. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Loughrey, David (7 September 2010). "Mayoral Profile: Dave Cull". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Figures reveal Cull's crushing victory". Otago Daily Times. 13 October 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Porteous, Debbie (24 January 2014). "Dunedin stadium a drain on council funds". The New Zealand Herald. Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Brown to rule Auckland, Wellington holds breath for winner". Otago Daily Times. 10 October 2010. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- "Cull wins Dunedin mayoralty". Otago Daily Times. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Mayor backs controversial hotel". 3 News NZ. 18 March 2013.
- "Dunedin $100m waterfront hotel plans scrapped". The New Zealand Herald. Otago Daily Times. 15 April 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- Morris, Chris (5 January 2013). "Councillors reveal election year priorities". Otago Daily Times. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "Dunedin City Council Results". Dunedin City Council. 12 October 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2013.
|Mayor of Dunedin