|Born||July 20, 1939|
|Spouse(s)||Josa Bivin |
David N. Bivin (born July 20, 1939, in Cleveland, Oklahoma) is an Israeli-American biblical scholar, member of the Jerusalem School of Synoptic Research and author of New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context. His role at the Jerusalem School involves publishing the journal Jerusalem Perspective (Online) and organizing seminars.
He is well known among lay readers for his co-authored book Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus: New Insights from a Hebraic Perspective and his book New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus
Bivin's second major work, New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context, shares a similar title with his first book, but reflects 20 more years of scholarship and is substantially different in content. Rather than focusing on language issues, it examines Jesus' teachings within their first-century Jewish context. Marvin Wilson, Professor, Gordon College, calls it "a valuable resource for every serious student of Scripture." The book includes much content initially published in the journal Jerusalem Perspective.
Bivin's work sometimes involves taking a Greek phrase from the Bible, attempting to uncover what the underlying Hebrew idiom would have been, and then translating and interpreting the idiom, in other words relating a Greek text to its Hebrew equivalent, then translating it to English.
David Bivin immigrated to Israel in 1963. Bivin served as a sergeant in an Israeli army reserve infantry unit from 1974 to 1991. He and his wife currently reside in a suburb of Jerusalem, Israel.
- Bivin, David; Bivin, Josa (1972). Hebrew 40: translations, units 1-40. Mount Zion, Israel: American Institute of Holy Land Studies.
- ———; Goldfarb, Robert (1977). Fluent Biblical and Modern Hebrew. Jerusalem: The American Upland. OCLC 4677922.
- ———; Blizzard, Roy B. (1983). Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus. Arcadia, CA: Makor Foundation. OCLC 17532669.
- ———; Tverberg, Lois; Okkema, Bruce (2005). New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context. Holland, MI: En-Gedi Resource Center. ISBN 9780974948225. OCLC 318198425.
- ——— (2006). "Evidence of an Editor's Hand in Two Instances of Mark's Account of Jesus' Last Week?"". In Notley, R. Steven; Turnage, Marc; Becker, Brian (eds.). Jesus' Last Week. Jerusalem studies in the Synoptic Gospels. 1. Leiden: Brill. ISBN 9789004147904.
- Jerusalem perspective Online. Jerusalem, Israel: David Bivin, 1999-now.
- Jerusalem perspective : a monthly report on research into the words of Jesus. Jerusalem, Israel: David Bivin, 1987-1999.
- Jerusalem Perspective Online, "David Bivin." Jerusalem perspective. Retrieved 05 March, 2007. 
- David Bivin and Roy B. Blizzard Jr. Understanding the Difficult Words of Jesus, Shippensburg, PA: Destiny Image Publishers, 1994.
- David Bivin New Light on the Difficult Words of Jesus: Insights from His Jewish Context, Holland, MI: En-Gedi Resource Center, 2005.