David E. Cooper
David E. Cooper is Emeritus Professor of Philosophy at Durham University. He previously taught at the universities of Oxford, Miami, London and Surrey, and has been a Visiting Professor at universities in the USA, Canada, Malta, Germany, Sri Lanka, and South Africa. He has published across a broad range of philosophical subjects, including philosophy of language, philosophy of education, ethics, aesthetics, environmental philosophy, philosophy of religion, history of both Western philosophy and Asian philosophy, and modern European philosophy, especially Heidegger, Nietzsche, and Wittgenstein.
In recent years, Cooper has written widely on environmental and Buddhist aesthetics, music and nature, the relationship of beauty and virtue, cultures of food, the significance of gardens, Daoism, our relationship to animals, and the notion of mystery. Cooper is the former Chair (or President) of the Aristotelian Society, the Mind Association, the Friedrich Nietzsche Society, and the Philosophy of Education Society of Great Britain. He is Secretary and a Trustee of the charity Project Sri Lanka.
Cooper is the author of a number of books, including World Philosophies: An Historical Introduction, Meaning, Existentialism: A Reconstruction,The Measure of Things: Humanism, Humility and Mystery, A Philosophy of Gardens, Convergence with Nature: A Daoist Perspective, and Senses of Mystery: Engaging with Nature and the Meaning of Life. He has also edited a number of collections, including Blackwell Companion to Aesthetics, Philosophy: The Classic Readings, Epistemology: The Classic Readings, Ethics: The Classic Readings and Aesthetics: The Classic Readings. He is joint editor of Key Thinkers on the Environment. Cooper is a regular reviewer of books for magazines, including 'The Times Literary Supplement'.
- 'Philosophy and the Nature of Language' (London: Longman, 1975)
- 'Illusions of Equality' (London: Routledge, 1980)
- 'Authenticity and Learning: Nietzsche's Educational Philosophy' (London: Routledge, 1983)
- 'Metaphor' (Oxford: Blackwell, 1986)
- 'Heidegger' (London: Claridge, 1996)
- 'World Philosophies' (Blackwell, 1996)
- 'Existentialism: A Reconstruction' (Oxford: Blackwell, 1999)
- 'The Measure of Things: Humanism, Humility and Mystery' (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002)
- 'Meaning' (Chesham, Bucks: Acumen, 2003)
- 'Buddhism, Virtue and Environment' (with Simon P. James) (Aldershot: Ashgate 2005)
- 'A Philosophy of Gardens' (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2006)
- 'Convergence with Nature: A Daoist Perspective' (Dartington: Green Books, 2012)
- 'Sunlight on the Sea: An Essay in Phenomenology', Kindle ebook, 2013
- 'Senses of Mystery: Engaging with Nature and the Meaning of Life' (Abingdon: Routledge 2017)
- 'Animals and Misanthropy' (Abingdon: Routledge 2018)