David F. Martin
David F. Martin is an art historian with a primary focus on female, gay or Asian-American artists, who are often otherwise under-documented in the art historical record. He is a leading authority on the art of Washington State during the period 1890-1960, and in particular on members of the Seattle Camera Club, an organization active in that place and timeframe, and chiefly composed of Japanese American photographers working in the Pictorialist style.
Martin has been the consulting curator for the Cascadia Art Museum in Edmonds, Washington since 2015. He has previously served as Program Director for the American Art Council at the Seattle Art Museum and as regional President of the Northwest Chapter of the National Museum of Women in the Arts, Washington, D.C. He is the only male Honorary Member of Women Painters of Washington. He has been instrumental in recovering the artistic legacies of Washington State artists Virna Haffer and Soichi Sunami, among others. 
Books he has authored or co-authored include:
- Martin, David F; Bromberg, Nicolette; University of Washington; Libraries; Henry Art Gallery (2011). Shadows of a fleeting world: pictorial photography and the Seattle Camera Club. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press. ISBN 9780295990859.
- Martin, David F; Cascadia Art Museum (2017). Territorial hues: the color print and Washington state, 1920-1960. ISBN 9780998911205.
- Martin, David F; Whatcom Museum (2011). Evergreen muse: the art of Elizabeth Colborne. Bellingham, WA: Whatcom Museum. ISBN 9780295991429.
- Bullock, Margaret E; Henderson, Christina S; Martin, David F; Haffer, Virna; Tacoma Art Museum; Exhibition A Turbulent Lens: the Photographic Art of Virna Haffer; Exhibition A Turbulent Lens: the Photographic Art of Virna Haffer (2011). A turbulent lens the photographic art of Virna Haffer. Tacoma: Tacoma Art Museum. ISBN 9780924335327.
- Martin, David F; Bullock, Margaret E; Helder, Z. Vanessa; Tacoma Art Museum (2014). Austere beauty: the art of Z. Vanessa Helder. ISBN 9780924335396.
- BULLOCK, MARGARET E (2018). CAPTIVE LIGHT: the life and photography of ella e.mcbride. S.l.: UNIV OF WASHINGTON PRESS. ISBN 0924335440.
- Martin, David F (2009). An enduring legacy: women painters of Washington, 1930-2005. Seattle, Wash.; Chesham: University of Washington Press ; Combined Academic [distributor. ISBN 9780938506119.
- Martin, David F; Bennett, Richard; Museum of History and Industry (Seattle, Wash.) (2010). The art of Richard Bennett. Seattle, WA: Museum of History & Industry : University of Washington Press [distributor. ISBN 9780939806072.
- Martin, David F (2015). A fluid tradition: Northwest Watercolor Society--the first 75 Years. ISBN 9780692269954.
- MARTIN, DAVID F (2018). INVOCATION OF BEAUTY: the life and photography of soichi sunami. S.l.: CASCADIA ART MUSEUM. ISBN 0998911216.
- Upchurch, Michael (August 3, 2014). "Curator Martin alters PNW's sense of its own art history". The Seattle Times. Retrieved September 6, 2018.
- Upchurch, Michael (October 25, 2016). "Peggy Strong retrospective raises more questions than it answers about her career". The Seattle Times. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- "Artfully Edmonds: Meet the creative force behind Cascadia Art Museum's inaugural exhibit - My Edmonds News". My Edmonds News. 2015-09-10. Retrieved 2018-09-26.
- "David F. Martin". Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Upchurch, Michael. "Virna Haffer's photos resurrected at TAM". Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- "Invocation of Beauty: The Life and Photography of Soichi Sunami". Retrieved 5 September 2018.