David Fane, 15th Earl of Westmorland
Early life and military service
The elder son of Vere Fane, 14th Earl of Westmorland, by The Hon. Diana, daughter of Thomas Lister, 4th Baron Ribblesdale, he was accorded the courtesy title of Lord Burghersh from birth; his younger brother was the author The Hon. Julian Fane, FRSL (1927-2009).
Later career and family
In 1948 he succeeded in his father's earldom on the death of his father, becoming a Lord-in-waiting to Queen Elizabeth II between 1955 and 1978 and again between 1990 and 1993; he then served as Master of the Horse from 1978 to 1991. He was appointed a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (KCVO) in 1970 and promoted Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO) in 1991. The latter year he was also appointed a Deputy Lieutenant of Gloucestershire. Lord Westmorland was also a Commander of the Order of St John (CStJ).
He married Jane Barbara Findlay, daughter of Sir Roland Findlay Bt, on 20 June 1950; they had three children:
- Anthony David Francis Henry Fane, 16th Earl of Westmorland (b. 1 August 1951)
- Hon. Harry St. Clair Fane (b. 19 March 1953)
- Lady Camilla Diana Fane (b. 26 December 1957).
- www.thepeerage.com : David Fane, 15th Earl of Westmorland, GCVO
- Michaels, Ashley. Sobrinos Reales. ASIN B077H1HWCB.CS1 maint: location (link)
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by David Fane, 15th Earl of Westmorland
The Duke of Beaufort
Master of the Horse
The Lord Somerleyton
|Peerage of England|
Earl of Westmorland