|Born||David V. Hope
October 14, 1964
Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Occupation||Voice actor, actor|
David V. Hope (born October 14, 1964), better known by his stage name, David Kaye, is a Canadian–American voice actor and actor. His most recognized roles include Sesshomaru in InuYasha, Treize Khushrenada in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Megatron in five of the Transformers series (Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Armada, Energon, and Cybertron), as well as Optimus Prime in Transformers: Animated, Professor X in X-Men Evolution, Cronus in Class of the Titans, several characters in Avengers Assemble and Regular Show, and Clank in the Ratchet & Clank video game franchise and the feature film. His voice is featured in the Academy Award-winning Disney/Pixar movie Up and he is also the in-show announcer for Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO.
During the 1980s, he moved to Vancouver to work in radio. He also did theater, starring in plays such as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, where he played George and Harvey, where he played Elwood P. Dowd.
David Kaye's voice over career began in 1989 with General Hawk in the DIC animation series G.I. Joe. Working as an on air talent for radio station CKLG (LG73), he quickly became less interested as both on camera and behind the mic roles started taking up more time. Over the next decade and a half, David's on camera burgeoned along with his voice career. On camera opportunities came in the form of guest roles on numerous TV series and movies such as The X-Files, Battlestar Galactica, and Happy Gilmore with Adam Sandler.
Also during this time Kaye was being cast in some of the first of hundreds of animation shows and video games. So many, in fact, this now became the main focus of his career. David’s biggest moment was when he was cast as Megatron in 1994 in the immensely popular series Transformers. As a new animation art form was taking off bolstered by Mainframe Entertainment, Beast Wars was born (Beasties in Canada) and would run for four seasons of "…the most fun you could ever have!" says David. Thus began an almost a twenty-year relationship with the Transformers franchise. In 2007, David crossed over to become the first actor in the history of the franchise to play the lead villain and the lead hero when he was cast as Optimus Prime for Cartoon Network's Transformers: Animated. He lent his voice to Hammerstrike in Transformers: Robots in Disguise, making it the eighth Transformers cartoon he's worked on, more than any other actor in the franchise. Once again, David finds himself returning to a franchise he first engaged in years before, this time going back to the beginning with G.I. Joe: not only can he be heard as Scarlett’s father, but also introducing every episode as the expo voice during the opening titles.
For Anime fans, Kaye has been the voice behind Sesshomaru in the English dubbed InuYasha series, Treize Khushrenada in Mobile Suit Gundam Wing, Recoome in Dragon Ball Z (1996-1998), and as the high strung father Soun Tendo in Ranma ½. His anime work still brings fans to conventions to meet him.
As the work keeps coming in, David's voice can be heard in Insomniac Games' Ratchet & Clank video game series as the loveable robot Clank. He's also been featured in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions as Mysterio, Nick Fury in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, and many more. David, at that point, landed a role as a newsreel announcer in Disney/Pixar's Oscar-winning movie Up.
David is now a full-time Los Angeles based voice artist. He has been working on Ben 10 Omniverse as the villain, Khyber, with J. G. Quintel on Regular Show as Reginald the giant baby, various characters on Avengers Assemble, and Clay, F-Bot and Chase Young on Xiaolin Chronicles.
With ongoing commitments now for movie trailers, network promo for ABC, Fox, CW, National Geographic, TLC, FX and a host of radio and television affiliates and a lot of commercial work, the days get a little tight from time to time. So much so, that he even has a unit that he can use to record from his car. "Don't worry, I actually have to pull over", he says.
David says "You won’t ever hear me complain, though. I'm working with the coolest people on the planet and deeply love what I do… I've put a request in for a 28 hour day!"
- Animated Classic Showcase - Various characters
- Avengers Assemble – J.A.R.V.I.S., Corvus Glaive, Helmut Zemo/Citizen V, Vision, Space Phantoms, Blood Brother #1, Ultron, Baron Zemo (1st Time), Additional voices
- Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes – Supreme Intelligence
- Barbie and the Three Musketeers – Alexander
- Barbie as Rapunzel – Hugo
- Barbie Mariposa – Royal Guard
- Be Cool, Scooby-Doo! – Headless Count, Bradwick
- Ben 10 / Generator Rex: Heroes United – Shocksquatch, Gravattack
- Ben 10: Omniverse – Cannonbolt, Khyber, Shocksquatch, Customer (1st Time), Heatblast, Gravattack, Sunder, Forecaster, Gar Red Wind, Deefus Veeblepister, Electricyeti, Rollway, Y-it, Fergi, Malice, Door, Ultimate Gravattack, Frankenstrike, Bouncer (2nd Time), Malice, Exo-Skull, Mole-Stache (2nd Time), Driver, Lightning Volt, Skurd, George Washington
- Ben 10: Omniverse: Galactic Monsters – Frankenstrike, Thumbskull, Joseph Chadwick, Lord Transyl, Deefus Veeblepister, Unitaur, Slapstrike
- Ben 10 (2016 TV series) - Max Tennyson, Fisherman, Steve, Trucker, Guy 2, Prospector Pete, Spider, Boxer, Lester, Clown 2, Guard, Mr. Billions, Tour Guide (2nd Time), Shock-O
- Broken Saints – Lear Dunham
- Capertown Cops
- Class of the Titans – Cronus
- Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island – Bunga Berry, Additional Voices
- Dan Vs. – Additional Voices
- DC Nation Shorts: Shazam – Shazam, Ibac
- DC Nation Shorts: Tales of Metropolis – Bizarro
- Electric City – Dr. Loman
- Exosquad – General Draconis, Lt. Hallas
- Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes – Iron Man
- G.I. Joe – General Hawk (Season 2)
- G.I. Joe: Renegades – Narrator (uncredited), Patrick O'Hara
- Gadget and the Gadgetinis – Additional Voices (uncredited)
- GeoTrax – Tex
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Corvus Glaive
- Hot Wheels AcceleRacers – Deezel "Porkchop" Riggs
- Hot Wheels Battle Force 5 – Helixion
- Iron Man & Captain America: Heroes United – J.A.R.V.I.S., Computer Voice #1
- Iron Man & Hulk: Heroes United – J.A.R.V.I.S.
- Kleo The Misfit Unicorn – Slim, Various Voices
- Kong: The Animated Series – Professor Ramon De la Porta
- Mummies Alive
- Ratchet & Clank – Clank
- Regular Show – Reginald, Various Voices
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Movie - Cupid
- Scooby-Doo! and the Beach Beastie – Grafton Brownstone
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated – Argus Fentonpoof, Dr. Phobos, Bill Buntman
- Skysurfer Strike Force – Jack Hollister/Skysurfer One (Season 2)
- Teen Titans Go! – Ferryman, Death
- The Greatest Heroes of the Bible – Various Voices
- The Hero of Color City – Black, King Scrawl
- Tony Hawk's Boom Boom Sabotage – Kud
- Transformers: Animated – Optimus Prime, Grimlock, Lugnut, Cliffjumper, Warpath, Highbrow, Sparkplug Witwicky
- Beast Wars: Transformers and Beast Machines: Transformers – Megatron, Savage/Noble
- Transformers: Prime – Hardshell
- Transformers: Robots in Disguise – Hammerstrike
- The Twisted Whiskers Show – Dander, Claude, Dash
- Ultimate Spider-Man – J.A.R.V.I.S. (Season 3)
- Up – Newsreel Announcer
- We Bare Bears – Additional Voices
- X-Men: Evolution – Professor X, Apocalypse
- Xiaolin Chronicles – Clay Bailey, F-Bot, Chase Young
- Dragon Ball Z – Recoome, Shorty (Ocean dub)
- Eat-Man '98 – Bolt Crank (Only in the first two episodes; the remaining episodes were not dubbed into English)
- Fatal Fury 2: The New Battle/Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture – Kim Kaphwan
- Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OVAs – Batou
- InuYasha – Sesshomaru (1st Voice) (Also movies)
- Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade – Additional Voices
- Key the Metal Idol – Tomoyo Wakagi
- Maison Ikkoku – Soichiro Otanashi
- MegaMan NT Warrior – ProtoMan.EXE
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing – Treize Khushrenada
- Monster Rancher – Monol, Captain Clay, Celius, End Bringer, Moo (final episode)
- Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge – Pyron
- Ranma ½ – Soun Tendo, The Gambling King, Daisuke, Additional Voices
- Ronin Warriors – The Ancient One, Narrator
- Tokyo Underground – Pairon, Narrator
- Transformers: Armada, Energon, and Cybertron – Megatron/Galvatron
- Battlestar Galactica – James McManus (Season 1: "Colonial Day", Season 2: "Lay Down Your Burdens (Part 1)", "Lay Down Your Burdens (Part 2)")
- Carpool – Scott Lewis
- Death Note – Voice of Koreyoshi Kitamura
- Edge of Tomorrow – Voice of UDF Commercial
- Happy Gilmore – Reporter
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver – Announcer
- Martian Child – Andy
- The X Files – (2 episodes)
- X2: X-Men United – TV Host (Uncredited)
- Amero Squad - ShapeTaker (Male Version of Shapeshifter)
- Assassin's Creed 2 – Additional voices
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood DLC "Da Vinci's Disappearance" – Salai
- Batman: Arkham City – James Gordon
- Beetle Adventure Racing – Game Announcer
- Dead Island – Logan Carter
- Dead Island: Riptide – Logan Carter
- Disney Infinity 3.0 – J.A.R.V.I.S., Mysterio
- Dynasty Warriors 3 – Xiahou Dun (uncredited)
- Hot Shots Golf Fore! – Clank
- Fuse – Oculus
- Impossible Creatures – Upton Julius
- InuYasha: Feudal Combat – Sesshomaru
- Kessen – Narrator
- Lost: Via Domus – John Locke
- Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects – Iron Man
- Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 – Captain America, Colonel Nick Fury
- Matt Hazard: Blood Bath and Beyond – Matt Hazard
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space – Random Pilots
- Need for Speed series – Game Announcer
- Overstrike – Dalton Brooks (trailer only)
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale – Clank
- PlayStation Move Heroes – Clank
- Psychonauts – Ford Cruller
- Ratchet & Clank series – Clank
- Resistance – Nathan Hale
- Spider-Man: Friend or Foe – Electro
- Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions – Mysterio
- The Cave – Magician, Weight Guesser, Roulette Barker
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow – Suhadi Sadono
- Transformers – Megatron
- Transformers Animated – Optimus Prime, Lugnut
- The Wolf Among Us – Dr. Swineheart
- BBC Radio 1 – Announcer: Coverage of Miami Winter Music Conference 2007 Radio 1 In Miami
- I Know That Voice – Himself
- 069 – David Kaye on Talkin Toons with Rob Paulsen – Weekly Voice Acting and Voice Over Tips. techjives.net. December 7, 2012
- "The Avengers Protocol". Avengers Assemble. Season 1. Episode 1. May 26, 2013. Disney XD.
- "Avengers World". Avengers Assemble. Season 2. Episode 26. September 20, 2015. Disney XD.
- "Saving Captain Rogers". Avengers Assemble. Season 3. Episode 3. March 27, 2016. Disney XD.
- "A Friend in Need". Avengers Assemble. Season 3. Episode 15. September 11, 2016. Disney XD.
- "Ghost of a Chance". Avengers Assemble. Season 1. Episode 3. July 7, 2013. Disney XD.
- "Hulked Out Heroes". Avengers Assemble. Season 1. Episode 11. September 29, 2013. Disney XD.
- "Avengers Disassembled". Avengers Assemble. Season 2. Episode 15. April 19, 2015. Disney XD.
- "Party Like It's 1899". Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!. Season 1. Episode 8. October 19, 2015. Cartoon Network.
- Ben Jones [idiotstyle] (May 14, 2014). "Ben answers questions on VA roles for Shazam" (Tweet). Retrieved January 5, 2015 – via Twitter.
- Kaye, David [dkayevo] (December 15, 2013). "Me Bizzaro...no really me play Bizzaro.. Tales of Metropolis: Bizarro" (Tweet). Retrieved December 2, 2015 – via Twitter.
- "Undercover Angle". Guardians of the Galaxy. Season 1. Episode 6. October 24, 2015. Disney XD.
- Scooby-Doo! and the Beach Beastie. Warner Bros.
- "Avenging Spider-Man, Part 1". Ultimate Spider-Man. Season 3. Episode 1. August 31, 2014. Disney XD.
- Avalanche Software. Disney Infinity 3.0. Scene: Closing credits, 5:39 in, Featuring the Voice Talents of.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to David Kaye.|