May 12, 1981 |
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||238 lb (108 kg; 17 st 0 lb)|
|Played for||Chicago Blackhawks
Tampa Bay Lightning
St. Louis Blues
HC Sparta Praha
|NHL Draft||146th overall, 2000
David Kočí (born May 12, 1981) is a Czech former professional ice hockey player who is currently coaching within HC Sparta Praha in the Czech Extraliga. He previously played in the National Hockey League with the Chicago Blackhawks, Tampa Bay Lightning, St. Louis Blues and the Colorado Avalanche.
Kočí was drafted 146th overall in the 2000 NHL Entry Draft by the Pittsburgh Penguins. Kočí played in the WHL with the Prince George Cougars in the 2000-01 season before turning professional for the 2001-02 season.
Kočí spent the next five years with the Penguins minor-league affiliates, between the Wheeling Nailers of the ECHL and Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins of the AHL. Prior to the 2006-07 season, Kočí signed with the Chicago Blackhawks on July 17, 2006.
Kočí was assigned to the Blackhawks affiliate, the Norfolk Admirals, but made his NHL debut on March 10, 2007, against the Phoenix Coyotes, and amassed 42 penalty minutes in three fights. He lost his first fight to Josh Gratton, but managed to get a rematch in which he fared much better. He fought defenceman Nick Boynton as well. By the end of the 2006–07 season, David played in nine games and collected 88 penalty minutes.
During the Blackhawks' loss to the Boston Bruins on October 25, 2007, Kočí got into one of the nastiest hockey brawls in recent hockey memory with Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chára. Kočí, who had broken his nose several days before, and Chára started punching each other; blood started to spatter from Kočí's nose. The Blackhawks placed Kočí on injured reserve and he missed about two weeks.
On July 1, 2008, Kočí signed with the Tampa Bay Lightning to a one-year deal. During the 2008–09 season, on October 21, 2008, David was claimed off waivers by St. Louis Blues after only playing one game for Tampa Bay. Kočí then returned to the Lightning after he was placed on waivers after 4 games with the Blues. Kočí scored his first NHL goal in a 3-2 defeat against the Montreal Canadiens on March 26, 2009. The puck was actually tapped in by a Canadiens player but credit was given to him.
On July 1, 2009, Kočí signed a one-year contract with the Colorado Avalanche. He scored his first goal with the Avalanche, and second career goal, when he unintentionally deflected in a Brett Clark shot in a 3-2 victory over the Calgary Flames on October 28, 2009. On December 15, 2009, during a 6-1 defeat to the Washington Capitals, Kočí raised ire after he was ejected from the game after a major boarding penalty on Capitals defenseman Mike Green. He was subsequently fined by the NHL. Kočí recorded 11 Fighting Majors before suffering a broken hand in a fight against D.J. King of the St. Louis Blues on February 8, 2010. He finished the 2009–10 season with a career-high 43 games and was re-signed to a one-year contract by the Avalanche on June 2, 2010.
A free agent, on September 1, 2011, Koci was invited to the Winnipeg Jets training Camp before he was released prior to the 2011–12 season on September 30, 2011. In returning to his native Czech Republic, he linked up with his former youth club, HC Sparta Praha, and made his long awaited Czech Extraliga debut. In leading Sparta with 132 penalty minutes, Koci also contributed with 5 assists, to earn a one-year extension with the club on May 21, 2012.
|2000–01||Prince George Cougars||WHL||70||2||7||9||155||6||0||0||0||20|
|2008–09||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||33||1||1||2||132||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||St. Louis Blues||NHL||4||0||0||0||9||—||—||—||—||—|
|2011–12||HC Sparta Praha||CZE||41||0||5||5||132||3||0||0||0||2|
|2012–13||HC Sparta Praha||CZE||30||0||2||2||122||3||0||0||0||4|
|2013–14||HC Sparta Praha||CZE||5||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0|
- "Blackhawks sign Corazzini, Koci and Hendry". Chicago Blackhawks. 2006-07-16. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Hawks down Coyotes in a Wild one". CBS Sports. 2007-03-10. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Koci placed on IR". Chicago Tribune. 2007-10-30. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- "Lightning sign unrestricted free agent David Koci to one-year deal". Tampa Bay Lightning. 2008-07-01. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Lightning lose Koci". The Sports Network. 2008-10-21. Retrieved 2008-10-21.
- "Lightning claim Koci back off waivers from Blues". Tampa Bay Lightning. 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Canadiens 3, Lightning 2". CBS Sports. 2009-03-26. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Colorado signs David Koci". Colorado Avalanche. 2009-07-01. Retrieved 2009-07-02.
- "Wolski's goal takes Avalanche to double-digit wins". CBS Sports. 2009-10-28. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Fleischmann scores twice, Theodore makes 27 saves in Caps' 6-1 rout of Avalanche". NHL. 2009-12-16. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "NHL DISCIPLINARY HEARINGS FOR KOCI, RUUTU RESULTS IN FINES". TSN. 2009-12-16. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "No suspension for David Koci!!". Denver Post. 2009-12-16. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Avs rout Blues, move into first-place tie in NW Division". CBS Sports. 2010-02-08. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Avalanche extend Budaj, Koci". Colorado Avalanche. 2010-06-02. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Defender David Koci remains in Sparta!" (in Czech). HC Sparta Praha. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- David Kočí's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- David Kočí's player profile at NHL.com