David Mitchell Magerman
|Born||1968 (age 50–51)|
|Education||Stanford University, University of Pennsylvania|
|Home town||Merion Station, Pennsylvania, U.S.|
|Spouse(s)||Debra Magerman (née Kampel)|
|Parent(s)||Melvin Magerman & Sheila Magerman|
Early life and education
Magerman spent two decades working for Robert Mercer’s New York-based investment management company Renaissance Technologies, where he developed trading algorithms. In 2017, Magerman publicly opposed the views of his boss, Robert Mercer, concerning politics and race issues in America. Mercer, the co-CEO of Renaissance Technology, suspended Magerman without pay and later made the suspension permanent. Magerman filed a federal lawsuit against Mercer, seeking an excess of $150,000 in damages over alleged racist comments and unlawful termination.
In order to maintain the Jewish community in his neighborhood, Magerman has worked on several business ventures. His first of these was Citron and Rose, an upscale kosher certified meat restaurant, with Michael Solomonov as the head chef. After seeing little to no benefit of an upscale dining experience, Magerman re-branded the establishment as C&R Kitchen, and split with head chef Solomonov. During this time, he opened a casual dairy restaurant across the street. To better serve the community, C&R Kitchen was closed and replaced with a more fast casual place, The Dairy Express, known for its high capacity pizza oven. Currently[year missing] under construction is C&R Tavern, a mix between a kosher grocery store and a dining establishment.
Through founding The Kohelet Foundation, Magerman has donated tens of millions of dollars to local causes. Some of these include Kohelet Yeshiva High School (renamed from Stern Hebrew High School in the gift's honor), Yeshiva University and the Yeshiva Lab School.
Freedom from Facebook
Magerman provided the initial funds for the campaign group "Freedom from Facebook", donating $425,000 as of late 2018.
Magerman married Debra Magerman (née Kampel), on 8 August 1999. They have four children.
- "Debra Kampel, David Magerman". 8 August 1999 – via NYTimes.com.
- "David M. Magerman's Home Page".
- "David Magerman".
- Fiorello, Victor (8 May 2017). "David Magerman Sues Breitbart Billionaire and Donald Trump Pal Bob Mercer". Philly Magazine. Philadelphia, PA. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "Mercer Sued by Hedge Fund Worker Fired After Blasting Trump". 8 May 2017 – via www.bloomberg.com.
- "Citron & Rose Owner Explains Split from Michael Solomonov". 29 April 2013.
- "The New Tavern, a Main Line landmark, is closed; will become kosher restaurant and market".
- McCabe, David. "Scoop: The millionaire funding the campaign to break up Facebook". Axios. Retrieved 16 November 2018.