David Platt (pastor)
July 11, 1978|
|Occupation||Pastor, author, educator|
Mara Ruth (Adopted)
|Era||Early 21st Century|
|Tradition or movement||Southern Baptist|
|Main interests||The Gospel|
David Joseph Platt is an American pastor. He is currently the Pastor-Teacher at McLean Bible Church, and he is also the author of the New York Times Best Seller Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream. Platt released a follow-up book, Radical Together: Unleashing the People of God for the Purpose of God in April 2011. And in February 2013, he released Follow Me: A Call to Die, a Call to Live, which included an introduction by Francis Chan. Platt recently founded a resource ministry, Radical.net, dedicated to serving the church and making disciples of all nations.
Platt graduated from the University of Georgia with a B.A. in journalism. From there he attended New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. There he received the degrees of M.Div, Th.M, and also a PhD.
After he finished his doctorate, Platt served at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary as Dean of Chapel and Assistant Professor of Expository Preaching and Apologetics. He also served at Edgewater Baptist Church in New Orleans and resided in a parsonage when Hurricane Katrina hit, flooding the parsonage.
At the age of 26, Platt was hired to lead the congregation of The Church at Brook Hills, and he became known as the youngest megachurch pastor in America. He said, "I believe that God has uniquely created every one of His people to impact the world. Some may count it as idealistic, but I believe it is thoroughly biblical, rooted in Psalm 67:1-2, yet covering Scripture from beginning to end. God is in the business of blessing His people so that His ways and His salvation might be made known among all people."
In 2014, Platt was elected president of the Southern Baptist Convention's International Mission Board. The International Mission Board is one of the largest missionary sending organizations in the world. He was appointed to this position after a trip to Nepal.
In February 2017, Platt began serving as Interim Teaching Pastor at McLean Bible Church in Vienna, Virginia, a church located just outside of Washington, DC. This is while continuing his primary role as president of the International Mission Board.
In September 2017, Platt was hired as Pastor Teacher of McLean Bible Church.
In February 2018, he announced his plans to resign as president of the IMB on the hiring of his successor.
David Platt holds to a continuationist view. He believes that the Biblical gifts of the Holy Spirit did not cease with the apostles and are operating today for the edification of the church, but he would stress that tongues are minor gifts and are always trumped by the higher gifts e.g. prophecy, and the work of the Holy Spirit through the word of the gospel by which the Holy Spirit brings salvation.
Secret Church is an intense six-hour Bible study designed to mimic “house church.” This is a simulcast event that was originally broadcast from The Church at Brook Hills in Birmingham, Alabama and has more recently been broadcast from various locations across the Southeast. The heart of Secret Church is centered around suffering Christian believers across the world that face persecution for their belief in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. The purpose of Secret Church is two-fold: to come together as the global church in prayer for persecuted Christians across the world and to take part in an intense study of God’s Word (the Bible). The Bible-centered studies are designed to equip Jesus followers to better spread the Gospel while inspiring greater devotion and commitment to the call of Christ. Each year, a different topic is studied and a different people group and/or country is specifically focused on for dedicated prayer time. Prayers are centered around persecuted Christians to be sustained through trials and tribulations, for the “secret Church” under persecution to grow, and for the spread of the Gospel.
Past Secret Church topics: Secret Church 1: Survey of the Old Testament, Secret Church 2: Survey of the New Testament, Secret Church 3: How to Study the Bible, Secret Church 4: Who Is God?, Secret Church 5: Exploring the Holy Spirit, Secret Church 6: The Cross of Christ, Secret Church 7: Angels, Demons, Spiritual Warfare, Secret Church 8: The Gospel, Possessions, and Prosperity, Secret Church 9: The Body of Christ, Secret Church 10: Crucifixion, Salvation, and the Glory of God, Secret Church 11: Family, Marriage, Sex, and the Gospel Secret Church 12: The Cross and Suffering, Secret Church 13: Heaven, Hell, End of the World, Secret Church 14: The Cross and Everyday Life, Secret Church 15: Christ, Culture, and a Call to Action, Secret Church 16: A Global Gospel in a World of Religions, Secret Church 17: Scripture and Authority in an Age of Skepticism, Secret Church 18: Cults and Counterfeit Gospels
- Platt, David (2010), Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream, Colorado Springs: Multnomah Books, ISBN 978-1-4487-9902-2, retrieved December 8, 2012
- Platt, David (April 19, 2011), Radical Together: Unleashing the People of God for the Purpose of God, Colorado Springs: Multnomah Books, ISBN 978-1-60142-372-6, retrieved December 8, 2012
- Platt, David (February 5, 2013), Follow Me: A Call to Die. a Call to Live, Carol Stream, IL: Tyndale House Publishers, ISBN 978-1414373287, retrieved December 8, 2012
- "Radical · About David Platt". Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Meet Our Pastor, The Church at Brook Brook Hills, retrieved December 8, 2012
- Brooks, David (September 7, 2010), "The Gospel of Wealth", The New York Times, New York, p. 25, retrieved December 8, 2012
- "About David Platt". Retrieved 7 May 2016.
- Garrison, Greg (August 15, 2006). "At 28, Pastor Has Five Degrees and a 4,300-Member Flock". Christianity Today. Religion News Service. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "imbConnecting". imbConnecting. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- "Pastor David Platt succeeds Tom Elliff as IMB president". Baptist Press. Retrieved February 23, 2016.
- Are Tongues a Gift for Today?. September 5, 2013. Retrieved February 23, 2016 – via YouTube.
- Secret Church, retrieved March 29, 2018