David Tatnall (born 1955) is a Melbourne photographer, known for his representation of the natural landscape. Tatnall began his career as an artistic photographer in 1975. He works with both large format and pinhole camera techniques. His work is in the same tradition as Peter Dombrovskis and Olegas Truchanas - in the past, Tatnall has worked with Dombrovskis.
"I tend to go with no preconceived idea of what I'm going to photograph, other than I'm going to this particular location and I'll see what's there. I go mainly to experience the location, to experience the wilderness area, to actually go there on a walking trip and I take my camera. If I see things to make photographs, I'll stop and make photographs."
The Monash Gallery of Art holds a famous 1986 work, 'Forest, Crows Foot Track, Rodger River, East Gippsland, Victoria'. In 2014, Tatnall explained how the work was made and its subsequent impact.
"On this ten-day trip I returned with twelve negatives; Forest at Crows Foot Track was the finest."
Tatnall has been awarded a Life Time Contribution Award by Parks Victoria, and an Honorary Life Membership of the Victorian National Parks Association for his lasting influence on nature conservation in Victoria through photography.
Projects and activities
- Artist in Residence at the Alpine School Campus  and the Snowy River Campus, School for Student Leadership. The School for Student Leadership is a Victorian government Department of Education and Training (DET) initiative.
- Workshops in large format photography, pinhole photography and landscape photography at the Gold Street Studios.
- The Last Summer: A series of large format photographs made of Royal Park, Melbourne in the summer of 2013 - 2014. At that time the park was threatened by the planned construction of a major new freeway, the East West Link.
- Melbourne: Pinhole: A series of photographs of Melbourne, Australia made on an 8 x 10 pinhole camera. Funded by the Melbourne City Council.
- Time and Tide- a series of photographs. Showcased at the Colour Factory Gallery, Melbourne.
- 2015 Earth matters: contemporary photographers in the landscape, Monash Gallery of Art, Melbourne, Australia. Part of ART+CLIMATE=CHANGE 2015.
- Review: Monash Gallery of Art photography exhibition explores the landscape of climate change, Dylan Rainforth, 17 March 2015, Sydney Morning Herald.
- Catalogue essay and list of works, Monash Gallery of Art, 2015.
- 2014 Royal Park – The Last Summer, FortyFive Downstairs, Melbourne, Australia.
- Review: Exhibition review by Christopher Deere: Royal Park - The Last Summer, Christopher Deere, Large Format Photography Australia, 19 March 2014.
- 2014 Khem (group show), Strange Neighbour, Melbourne, Australia.
- Catalogue essay, Linsey Gosper, curator.
- 2014 Wildcards: Bill Henson shuffles the deck (group show), Monash Gallery of Art, Melbourne, Australia. Curated by Bill Henson.
- 2013 Coastal Pinholes, Gold Street Studios, Melbourne, Australia., Gold Street Studios.
- 2011 The Quiet Landscape, Gold Street Studios, Melbourne, Australia., Gold Street Studios.
- 2010 Field of View, Point Light Gallery, Surry Hills, Australia., Point Light Gallery.
- Review: 'Visions of Steel, Flesh, Fire and Ice', Robert McFarlane, Ozphotoreview, 7 October 2010.
- 2007 Melbourne: Pinhole City Library gallery, Melbourne, Australia.
- 2003 Seeing the Forest and the Trees, Castlemaine Gallery, Castlemaine, Australia.
- Wild places of greater Melbourne , Robin Taylor (text); Richard Weatherly (illustrations); David Tatnall (photographs) and others, 1999, CSIRO Publishing, ISBN 9780957747104.
- Tracks through time : the Narracan walks book, John Wells (text); David Tatnall (photographs), 1988, Narracan Bicentennial Walks Book Committee.
- Interview with Amanda Smith, 'Artworks', ABC Radio National, 16 September 2007.
- Interview with editor, 'Interview with David Tatnall', Large Format Photography Australia, 21 May 2013.
- National Gallery of Victoria Collection Online - David Tatnall
- 2007 PIEA-IPT-AIMBI Biographies (M-Z)
- David Tatnall, quoted in "The Terry Lane Interviews - That Photograph", Radio National, Melbourne, 4 November 2007 5:00 PM. Retrieved on 16 May 2017.
- State Library of Victoria Collection Search - David Tatnall
- Gold Street Studios: Instructors
- Monash Gallery of Art - David Tatnall
- 'The Photograph Explained: Forest at Crows Foot Track', David Tatnall, 29 July 2014, Large Format Photography Australia. Retrieved on 16 May 2017.
- Photographer honoured[dead link], Wild: Australia's Wilderness Adventure Magazine, July 2001.
- Alpine Lessons - Photography, Alpine School Campus.
- Snowy Lessons - Photography, Snowy River Campus.
- Royal Park - The Last Summer. Photographs by David Tatnall
- "Exhibition: Time and Tide - David Tatnall". View Camera Australia. 2 July 2017. Retrieved 28 July 2020.
- News and reviews: David Tatnall
- David Tatnall – Coastal Pinholes – Oct/Dec 2013
- David Tatnall – The Quiet Landscape – April/June 2011
- Past Exhibitions
- Back to basics, Terry Lane, The Age, 16 August 2017. Retrieved on 16 May 2017.