This article is an autobiography or has been extensively edited by the subject or by someone connected to the subject. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||November 2, 1943|
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
|Labels||Cordova Bay Records|
|Associated acts||Paul deLay Blues Band|
David Vest (born November 2, 1943) is an American blues piano player and songwriter from Huntsville, Alabama, United States. Vest is currently signed to the Canadian Independent label, Cordova Bay Records, and lives in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Vest was born in 1943, and grew up in Birmingham, Alabama, United States. He learned to a play on a used piano his grandmother had delivered to their house in West End, a few blocks away from Ensley's Tuxedo Junction.
He played his first paying gig at the age of 14. He has worked professionally as a pianist from the age of 15, since 1957. In the 1960s Vest played seven nights a week at Pappy's Club with Jerry Woodard and The Esquires. On New Year's Day 1962 he opened for Roy Orbison. He backed Big Joe Turner in the 1960s and later toured with Jimmy T99 Nelson, Floyd Dixon, and Lavelle White, as well as the rockabilly group Bill Black's Combo. David Vest was also the co-leader of the Paul deLay Band.
He currently lives in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, with his wife.
Awards and achievements
David Vest has received five Muddy Awards from the Cascade Blues Association, including the Best Keyboard Player. He has also played piano on Bill Johnson's JUNO-nominated album Still Blue and on David Gogo's 2014 JUNO-nominated record Come On Down.
- 2003 Way Down Here (Ark-O-Matic)
- 2005 Serve Me Right to Shuffle (Ark-O-Matic)
- 2010 Rock A While (Ark-O-Matic)
- 2012 East Meets Vest (Ark-O-Matic)
- 2014 Roadhouse Revelation (Cordova Bay Records)
- Talmey, Brian. "David Vest revives a blues era on new album". Martyrmagazine.ca. Martyr Magazine. Archived from the original on 4 February 2016. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- Conner, Shawn. "Q&A: Roots musician David Vest". Vancouversun.com. Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "David Vest CD Release Party at Hermann's Jazz Club". Harbourliving.ca. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "David Vest". Archived from the original on December 15, 2013. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Chamberlain, Adrian. "David Vest has seen it all, including knife fights and shootings". Timescolonist.com. Times Colonist. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Keyboard Legend David Vest is Coming to the Dominion Hotel". Madeinhaliburton.ca. Made In Haliburton. Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "Maple Blues Awards". Westcoastblues.ca. 2014-01-20. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- Adams, Pilar. "Pilar's Picks: David Vest". Ottawalife.com. Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- ": Top 50 : Jun 10, 2014 : !earshot : charts". Earshot-online.com. Retrieved 2015-10-26.
- Brown, Chris. "David Vest rolling back to Bow Island". Medicinehatenews.com. Retrieved 21 October 2014.[permanent dead link]
- Steven Barnett (2014-05-15). "David Vest | Rockin' and shoutin' the blues since 1957". Davidvest.ca. Retrieved 2015-10-26.