David Wolfe (mathematician)
Education and career
Wolfe graduated from Cornell University in 1985, with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. He obtained a Ph.D. in computer science from the University of California, Berkeley in 1994, with a dissertation Mathematics of Go: Chilling Corridors combining both subjects and supervised by Elwyn Berlekamp.
After working as a lecturer at the University of California, Berkeley from 1991 to 1996, as an associate professor at Gustavus Adolphus College from 1996 to 2008, and then as an adjunct faculty member at Dalhousie University, he moved from academia to the software industry.
Wolfe is the author of books on combinatorial game theory, including:
- Mathematical Go: Chilling Gets the Last Point (with Elwyn Berlekamp, A K Peters, 1994; also published as Mathematical Go Endgames: Nightmares for the Professional Go Player, Ishi Press, 1994)
- Lessons in Play: An Introduction to Combinatorial Game Theory (with Michael H. Albert and Richard Nowakowski, A K Peters, 2007; 2nd ed., CRC Press, 2019)
- "David Wolfe", LinkedIn, retrieved 2020-07-07
- David Wolfe at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Reviews of Mathematical Go:
- Hentzschel, J., zbMATH, Zbl 0852.90149CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Campbell, Paul J. (December 1994), Mathematics Magazine, 67 (5): 391–393, doi:10.2307/2691006, JSTOR 2691006CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Loeb, Daniel Elliott (1995), Mathematical Reviews, MR 1274921CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Guy, Richard K.; Nowakowski, Richard J. (1995), Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, New Series, 32 (4): 437–441, doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1995-00601-4, MR 1568191CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Hayes, Brian (July–August 1995), American Scientist, 83 (4): 381–382, JSTOR 29775500CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- You, Zhiping; Yorke, James A. (September 1996), SIAM Review, 38 (3): 543–544, doi:10.1137/1038104, JSTOR 2132518CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Reviews of Lessons in Play:
- Borchers, Brian (May 2007), "Review", MAA Reviews, Mathematical Association of America; updated August 2019 for 2nd ed.
- Campbell, Paul J. (December 2007), Mathematics Magazine, 80 (5): 399–400, doi:10.1080/0025570X.2007.11953519, JSTOR 27643070, S2CID 218541649CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Ward, Michael (July 2009), The Mathematical Gazette, 93 (527): 382–383, doi:10.1017/S0025557200185080, JSTOR 40378761CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)