By 1979 he was running an advertising agency and in 1990 he became president of Wysong Capital Management. He entered politics in 1996 serving on the city council of Mission Hills, Kansas that year. He was elected to a term as a member of the Johnson County board of commissioners that year as well.
Wysong and his wife Kathy are the parents of two children.
- Commerce (chair)
- Joint Committee on Economic Development (vice-chair)
- Ethics and Elections
- Public Health and Welfare
- Ways and Means
Recent sponsored bills by Sen. Wysong include:
- A bill regarding increased investments by the State
- A bill imposing restrictions for raising retailers' sales tax
- and multiple bills for regulating insurance
Some of the top contributors to Wysong's 2008 campaign, according to the National Institute on Money in State Politics:
- Steve Glassman, Gary Remley, Fred Couslon, Linda T. Watson, Missouri Bank, and others
Finance, insurance, and real estate companies were his largest donor group.