Trotman worked with many other evangelicals of his day, including Henrietta Mears, Jim Rayburn, Charles E. Fuller, Bill Bright, Billy Graham and Dick Hillis. Lorne Sanny (November 22, 1920 – March 28, 2005) succeeded him as president of The Navigators after Lila was its short-term interim president.
Trotman married Lila Mae Clayton on July 3, 1932. Lila, who was born on December 12, 1913 in Buffalo Valley, Tennessee, died on October 27, 2004 at the age of 90. The couple had five children.
- Downing, James (2008). Living Legacy: Reflections on Dawson Trotman and Lorne Sanny (Paperback). NavPress. ISBN 978-0972902380.
- Foster, Robert (2012). The Navigator (Paperback). NavPress. ISBN 978-1612912769.
- Robertson, Jr., Lee Roy (2002). Developing a Heart for Mission: Five Missionary Heroes (Paperback). NavMedia. ISBN 978-9810474256.
- Skinner, Betty Lee (1974). Daws: The Story of Dawson Trotman, Founder of the Navigators (Paperback). Zondervan. ISBN 0-310-32801-2.
- The Navigators, ed. (2011). Dawson Trotman: In His Own Words (Paperback). NavPress. ISBN 978-1617479212.
- George Thomas Kurian, Mark A. Lamport, Encyclopedia of Christianity in the United States, Volume 5, Rowman & Littlefield, USA, 2016, p. 2331
- Randall Herbert Balmer, Encyclopedia of Evangelicalism, Westminster John Knox Press, USA, 2002, p. 486
- "A Tribute to Lorne Sanny". navigators.org. March 28, 2005. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- "A Tribute to Lila Mae Trotman". navigators.org. October 27, 2004. Retrieved July 21, 2018.
- Time Magazine bio
- Born to Reproduce
- The Need of the Hour (which is that tools may be cute, but the influence of the man of God to spread the knowledge of God is vital)
- The Wheel illustration (for the CHRIST-ian life in action, Dawson Trotman's original version)
- The Hand illustration (for getting a HAND-le on the Word of God), now also known as the "WORD-hand" illustration
- The "Prayer-Hand" illustration (five key ingredients of Prayer)
- The Big Dipper illustration (the seven distinctive elements of The Navigators as an organization)