Dead Effect 2
|Dead Effect 2|
|Platform(s)||iOS, Android, Microsoft Windows, OS X|
28 October 2015
Windows, OS X:
18 February 2016
13 January 2017
17 January 2017
|Genre(s)||Survival horror, first-person shooter, role-playing|
The gameplay mechanics of Dead Effect 2 are similar to the original game. In the default setup, movement is controlled by a virtual joystick on the left of the screen, with sight and aim controlled by the player moving their finger across the touch screen, although there are two shortcut buttons on the left and right of the screen to allow the player to instantly turn 90 degrees to the left or right. Players can use explosives, iron sights, reload, change weapons, shoot and enter slow motion mode using virtual buttons on the right of the screen. Controls can be customized from the main menu, with each icon individually repositionable as the player sees fits. Unlike the original game player character fires automatically when their reticle rests on enemy.
In story mode, the player can play as Gunnar Davis, Jane Frey or Kay Rayner. Unlike the first game there is difference in weaponry. Davis is a specialist in heavy weaponry, Jane Frey uses shotgun and Rayner uses melee weapons. Davis features gameplay that is the most similar to the original game.
The story follows where the original left off. It is set on the spaceship ESS Meridian after the death of Dr. Wagner, the antagonist in the first game. The player has to fight soldiers sent to the facility.
The mobile version of Dead Effect 2 has received positive reviews it holds 78% on Metacritic.
COGconnected reported that developer BadFly Interactive offered them Dead Effect 2 review codes. The email with codes included a warning: "if the review or preview of Dead Effect 2 is very negative, you won't receive any keys from us in the future." This spawned criticism from vmedia towards company. Martin Pospisil from BadFly Interactive admitted that company made a mistake and said that it was caused by experience from some reviews that compared their games with big AAA titles like Left 4 Dead or Mass Effect, which led to very low ratings. He said that BadFly will not blacklist any magazine for negative review if it is fair and honest.
In June 2016, BadFly Interactive’s CEO and Creative Director Lubomír Dykast said that BadFly Interactive is working on a game that will take place in the same game universe, although it will not be a direct sequel to Dead Effect 2.
- Konfršt, Jan. "Na Androidu a iOS vyšla česká akce Dead Effect 2". Games.cz. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Slater, Harry. "Dead Effect 2". Pocket Gamer. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- Allen, Jennifer. "Dead Effect 2 guide - Tips and tricks for surviving in space". 148Apps. Retrieved 7 November 2015.
- "Happy new year!". Steam. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Dead Effect 2". Metacritic. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Dead Effect 2". Metacritic. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Dead Effect 2 Dev Reportedly Blacklists Blackball Media Outlets Who Give Negative Reviews". Gameranx. 18 January 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Yin-Poole, Wesley (18 January 2017). "Developer admits "we screwed it" after game website exposes review blacklist threat". Eurogamer. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Palumbo, Alessio (27 June 2016). "Dead Effect 2 Interview - Coop Zombie Galore". WCCF Tech. Retrieved 29 June 2016.