Deal W. Hudson
Deal Wyatt Hudson (born November 20, 1949) is an American conservative political activist. Former publisher and editor of Crisis Magazine and InsideCatholic.com from 1996-2011. Currently president of the Morley Institute for Church and Culture and currently hosts live radio show and writes a daily column for Inside Catholic. He is the former Chairman and founder of Catholic Advocate. Among others authored, Onward, Christian Soldiers: The Growing Political Power of Catholics and Evangelicals in the United States (2008). Since 2000, Hudson's chief political activity has been to help organize the Catholic vote in support of conservative and Republican candidates.
Hudson was born in Denver, Colorado. Raised as a Protestant, Hudson became a Southern Baptist in college at the University of Texas-Austin before converting to Catholicism in 1984, as detailed in his memoir An American Conversion. He has written, edited or contributed to several other books, and in 2004 he wrote the online guide "How to Vote Catholic". Hudson has written as well for the Los Angeles Times and for Slate. as well as the Wall Street Journal and the Spectator.
Hudson first taught philosophy at Mercer University Atlanta (1980–89) and at Fordham University (1989–1995). In 1995 he became publisher of the conservative Roman Catholic magazine, Crisis. He also served as director of Catholic Outreach for George W. Bush's 2000 and 2004 presidential campaigns.
He remains influential among conservative Catholic voters, an important demographic electoral bloc.
Among Hudson's activities outside politics is his sponsorship of an annual poetry luncheon at the beginning of Advent each Christmas season. He is president of the Morley Institute for Church and Culture, and a host of Ave Maria radio, a national Catholic radio syndicate.
- Understanding Maritain (ed. with Matthew J. Mancini). Mercer University Press, 1987 ISBN 978-0-86554-279-2
- The Future of Thomism: The Maritain Sequence (ed. with Dennis William Moran). University of Notre Dame Press, 1992 ISBN 0-268-00986-4
- Sigrid Undset: On Saints and Sinners (ed.) Ignatius Press, 1994 ISBN 0-89870-483-9
- Happiness and the Limits of Satisfaction. Rowman & Littlefield, 1995 ISBN 0-8476-8139-4; PB ISBN 978-0-8476-8140-2
- Public Catholicism: The Challenge of Living the Faith in a Secular American Culture (contributor). Our Sunday Visitor, 1996 ISBN 0-87973-754-9
- An American Conversion: One Man's Discovery of Beauty and Truth in Times of Crisis. Crossroad, 2003 ISBN 0-8245-2126-9
- Onward, Christian Soldiers: The Growing Political Power of Catholics and Evangelicals in the United States. Simon & Schuster, 2008 ISBN 1-4165-2442-8; PB, 2010 ISBN 1-4165-2446-0
- "Issues for Catholic Voters, 2012 Edition". Coauthored with Matt Smith. Amazon Digital Services, 2012 ASIN: B0076RXG42
- Catholic Advocate: Team
- Varacalli, Joseph A. (2001). Bright Promise, Failed Community: Catholics and the American Public Order. Lexington Books. p. 45. ISBN 0-7391-0292-3.
- von Hildebrand, Alice (January 2004). "Glorious Broadmindedness", This Rock. Retrieved 4/16/09.
- Hudson, Deal W. (2004). "How to Vote Catholic"
- Hudson, Deal W. (January 23, 2000)."Catholics and the GOP: an Uneasy Fit", Los Angeles Times, page M-5.
- Hudson, Deal W. (April 1, 2005). "Contextual Conservatism", Slate.
- Boyer, Peter (September 8, 2008). "Party Faithful". The New Yorker. Retrieved November 1, 2008.
- Salmon, Jacqueline L. (December 6, 2008). "Getting Into Christmas Spirit is Pure Poetry for Catholic Group", The Washington Post, p. B7.
- InsideCatholic.com home page
- Catholic Advocate home page
- Dozens of Hudson's articles archived on CatholiCity.com