||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Dean Kalimniou (also known as Konstantinos Kalymnios) (Greek: Κωνσταντῖνος Καλυμνιός) is an Australian lawyer, writer of Greek descent.
Early life and education
As spokesperson for the Panepirotic Federation of Australia, he has consistently raised awareness of the plight of the Northern Epirot Greek minority in Southern Albania, traveling to Albania on many occasions to research the plight of the Northern Epirots. As a journalist, Dean Kalimniou is popular within the Greek community of Australia through his column in the Melbourne Greek newspaper Neos Kosmos (New World), entitled Diatribe, which has been running since 2001, and as a regular columnist in OPA! magazine.
Dean Kalimniou is also a well-known poet and short story writer within the Greek community. He is widely noted as one of the few Australian born Greek poets who produce literature in the Greek language. He has published seven poetry collections Kipos Esokleistos Κῆπος Ἐσώκλειστος ("Garden Enclosed") (2003), Alexipyrina Ἀλεξιπύρινα ("Flameproof") (2004), Apteros Niki Ἄπτερος Νίκη ("Wingless Victory") (2008), Anisixasmos Ἀνησυχασμός (2010), "Plektani" Πλεκτάνη (2012), "Kelyfospastis" Κελυφοσπάστης (2013) and "Motherlands" "Μητρίδες" (2017). His Essays have appeared in such publications as Etchings and Αιολικά Γράμματα. In 2013, Professor Vrasidas Karalis stated that Dean Kalimniou is one of the most significant poets of the world-wide Greek diaspora.
Dean Kalimniou has also translated the following works of prominent Greek-Australian authors from Greek into English:
- Faye Mangos "A Cry of the Heart" (2004)
- Nikos Vournazos: "Dancing Solo" (2005)
- Dionysia Mousoura-Tsoukala: "Words and Memories in Melbourne" (2007)
- Vakina Panagiotidou: "The Triumph of Tragedy" (2008)
- Thanassis Papastergiou: "The North Winds Arrived Early" (2010) and "Poems through the Looking Glass" (2010)
- Sotirios Manolopoulos: "A Migrant's Hopeful Dawn" (2015)
In 2009, Dean Kalimniou wrote the script of the Peter Stephanidis short film: The Message.
- Daly, Martin (August 28, 2004). "Greeks spitting chips". SMH. Archived from the original on August 31, 2004. Retrieved May 21, 2017.
- Dean Kalimniou (January 29, 2011). "The Triumph of Tragedy". Diatribe. Retrieved May 21, 2017.
- Coalition Government infrastructure strategy supported by Infrastructure Australia. premier.vic.gov.au, 4 July 2011.
- Diatribe blog by Dean Kalimniou