Deep Kalra is an Indian businessman who is the founder, chairman and group CEO of MakeMyTrip, one of the leading online travel companies in India.
He was born in Hyderabad and grew up in Delhi and Ahmedabad. He obtained his bachelor's degree in Economics from St. Stephen's College, Delhi in 1990 and his MBA from Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad in 1992.
He joined ABN AMRO straight out of IIM Ahmedabad where he worked for three years before taking an year long break. He worked with AMF Bowling to set up bowling alleys in India before joining GE Capital in 1999 as VP of Business Development. He started Makemytrip in the year 2000 after realizing the possibilities of the internet while trying to sell his wife's car online. While booking a holiday to Thailand, he realized that the internet could offer more competitive prices by cutting out the middleman. He was CEO of Makemytrip from its inception till its listing on NASDAQ in August 2010. Since August 2013, he functions as Group CEO.
He also serves as the Vice Chairman of Internet and Mobile Association of India. He is one of the founders of Ashoka University and is a part of its governing body. He is also a founding member of I am Gurgaon, an NGO.
He was ranked #1 in a list of most powerful digital influencers in India by KPMG in 2011
- "Deep Kalra: Making His Own Trip | Forbes India". Forbes India. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "Deep Kalra". World Economic Forum. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "MY STARTUP IDEA: Deep Kalra on his eureka moment - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- Staff, Forbes. "The Bumpy Ride for Deep Kalra's MakeMyTrip Web Operation". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "MakeMyTrip promotes Rajesh Magow as India CEO; Mohit Kabra is new CFO". Techcircle. 2013-08-07. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "Rajan Anandan Appointed The New IAMAI Chairman". Inc42 Media. 2017-05-25. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "Ashoka, India's first liberal arts university, to open in August". @businessline. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- Livemint (2017-03-02). "In India, we don't talk enough about giving: Deep Kalra". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2018-04-29.
- "Makemytrip's Deep Kalra most most powerful digital influencer". The Economic Times. 2012-12-23. Retrieved 2018-04-29.