|Born||1966 (age 55–56)|
|Alma mater||Glassboro State College|
Fairleigh Dickinson University (MBA)
Deirdre K. Breakenridge (born 1966) is an American author and businessperson. She is known for her writing on public relations and social media.
Education and career
Breakenridge grew up in New Jersey, and she attended Glassboro State College. After working in the public relations industry, she returned to the Fairleigh Dickinson University to get her MBA. Afterward, she continued working in public relations agencies before opening her own agency, Pure Performance Communications. She has also taught classes at several universities as an adjunct professor.
Breakenridge's first book, Cyberbranding: Brand Building in the Digital Economy (2001), is about how companies can market their brand online. Her 2008 book, PR 2.0 New Media, New Tools, New Audiences, offers public relations groups a way to get involved online in new technologies.
In 2009, Breakenridge published Putting the Public Back in Public Relations with Brian Solis. The Journalism and Mass Communication Educator wrote that the book is useful and well-organized for both beginners and advanced individuals in public relations. The book also describes new trends in social media and how all PR individuals can use these techniques. Putting the Public Back in Public Relations also advises those in PR positions to take on leadership roles to promote the use of the new techniques described in the book.
- Breakenridge, Deirdre (2001). Cyberbranding: Brand Building in the Digital Economy. Financial Times Prentice Hall. ISBN 9780130897107.
- Breakenridge, Deirdre; Cini, Joanne; DeLoughry, Thomas J. (2003). The New PR Toolkit: Strategies for Successful Media Relations. FT Press. ISBN 9780130090256.
- Breakenridge, Deirdre K. (2008). PR 2.0: New Media, New Tools, New Audiences. FT Press. ISBN 9780132703970.
- Solis, Brian; Breakenridge, Deirdre K. (2009). Social Networking for Promoting YOU as a Brand. FT Press. ISBN 9780131377738.
- Solis, Brian; Breakenridge, Deirdre K. (2009). Putting the Public Back in Public Relations: How Social Media Is Reinventing the Aging Business of PR. FT Press. ISBN 9780137011261.
- Breakenridge, Deirdre K.; Solis, Brian (2012). Powerful PR Strategies for Success (Collection). FT Press. ISBN 9780133087307.
- Breakenridge, Deirdre K. (2012). Social Media and Public Relations: Eight New Practices for the PR Professional. FT Press. ISBN 9780132983228.
- Breakenridge, Deirdre (2017). Answers for Modern Communicators: A Guide to Effective Business Communication. Routledge. ISBN 9781351863001.
- "Podcast Interview with Deirdre Breakenridge". Shane Barker. Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- "Deirdre Breakenridge will talk about social media for family businesses at FDU". Fairleigh Dickinson University. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- "Interview with PR expert Deirdre Breakenridge". Intuitive Stories. Retrieved November 18, 2019.
- DeMarrais, Kevin G. (2008). "PR and Marketing Veteran Shares Insights, Advice in the Internet Age". The Record. Retrieved 19 November 2019 – via EBSCOhost.
- Swann, Patricia (Summer 2009). "PR 2.0 New Media, New Tools, New Audiences". Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly. 86 (2): 470–472 – via EBSCOhost.
- Aguzzino, Alisa (2010). "The Culture of Efficiency: Technology in Everyday Life/Putting the Public Back in Public Relations". Journalism & Mass Communication Educator. 65 (3–4): 316–331. doi:10.1177/107769581006500308. ISSN 1077-6958. S2CID 220747924.
- Patrick, Nona (2010). "3 Books That Tell You the Latest About Marketing and PR". Inside Tucson Business. 20 (23): 14 – via EBSCOhost.
- Chandler, Eric (2009). "Putting the Public Back in Public Relations". PRWeek (U.S. Edition): 8 – via EBSCOhost.
- "Social Media as PR Device Comes of Age in 2011: Report". Channel Insider. 2010 – via EBSCOhost.
- "Review". Reference and Research Book News. Ringgold Inc. November 2001. ISSN 0887-3763.
- Marken, G. A. (September 2007). "Review". Public Relations Quarterly. 52 (3): 21–23. ISSN 0033-3700.
- Reviews of Putting the Public Back in Public Relations:
- "Review". Reference and Research Book News. 27 (3). June 2012. ISSN 0887-3763.