Del Norte Unified School District
|Del Norte Unified School District|
|301 West Washington Boulevard|
|Type||Public school district|
|Motto||Equipping Students for Success|
|NCES District ID||0610770|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers||160.47 (on a FTE basis)|
Del Norte Unified School District is a public school district serving Del Norte County, California, United States. It has an enrollment of 3,679 students across eleven schools: eight elementary schools, a middle school, and two high schools. The superintendent is Jeff Harris. Del Norte High School and Crescent Elk Middle School, within the district, are among the few schools that provide instruction in the Yurok language.
As of 2016-17, the district had a total enrollment of 3,679 students with 160.47 classroom teachers (on a FTE basis), for a student–teacher ratio of 22.93. Of those 3,679 students, 65.7 percent of them qualified for free or reduced lunch under the National School Lunch Act. 7.6 percent of students were enrolled in English as a second or foreign language classes. The district is primarily White (63 percent), with small Native American (7 percent), Asian (3 percent), Black (2 percent) and Multiracial (6 percent) minorities. 19 percent of students are Hispanic or Latino. As of 2018, the district has a very high chronic absentee rate, 20.9 percent.
- Del Norte High School
- Sunset High School
- Crescent Elk Middle School
- Bess Maxwell Elementary School
- Joe Hamilton Elementary School
- Margaret Keating Elementary School
- Mary Peacock Elementary School
- Mountain Elementary School
- PIne Grove Elementary School
- Redwood Elementary School
- Smith River Elementary School
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Del Norte Unified School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "About Us". Del Norte Unified School District. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "Search for Public Schools - Search Results". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- "Office of the Superintendent". Del Norte Unified School District. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- Romney, Lee (January 6, 2013). "Revival of nearly extinct Yurok language is a success story". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- White, Allison (July 1, 2010). "Del Norte schools, ACLU settle suit". Times-Standard. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "District Profile: Del Norte County Unified". California Department of Education. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- "ACS School District Profile 2013-17". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "Interactive Map: California's chronically absent students in 2017-18". EdSource. Retrieved October 12, 2019.