Moloney is a senior partner in the leading Belfast law firm of Donnelly & Wall specialising in Criminal Law. He was educated at St Malachy's College and Queen's University, Belfast and was conferred with an Honorary Doctorate in Laws from the University of Ulster in 2010.
- Vice-Chair, St Louise's College, Belfast.
- Member, Probation Board for Northern Ireland.
- Trustee, Westminster Cathedral, London.
- Emeritus Professor of Law, University of Ulster.
- Council of State (Ireland). Appointed by President Mary McAleese in 2004.
- Senior Partner, Donnelly & Wall, Solicitors
- Gene McKenna (23 November 2004). "Seven new members appointed to Council of State". Irish Independent. Retrieved 2009-03-15.
- "University honours Orde and Rea". BBC News. 29 January 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "Local Unionist on Council of State". Down Democrat. 30 November 2004. Archived from the original on 23 June 2007. Retrieved 2009-03-15.