Dennis Raphael is a professor of Health Policy and Management at York University in Toronto. Raphael received his Ph.D. from the University of Toronto in 1975. He completed his M.Sc. in 1974 and B.Sc. in 1972.
Most of his over 260 scientific publications have focused on the health effects of income inequality and poverty, the quality of life of communities and individuals, and the impact of government decisions on Canadians' health and well-being. Over the course of his career he has published 12 books, 57 book chapters, and 143 refereed journal articles.
Currently Raphael is working on the lived experience of racialized groups in Central Etobicoke, Toronto, health discourse among disease associations, and health inequalities in the Republic of Korea. He recently published an important article on the threats to the Nordic welfare state in the Scandinavian Journal of Public Health  Raphael was the recipient of the 2009-2010 York University Faculty of Health Dean's Award in the Research — Established Career Category. Since 2004, he has managed the Social Determinants of Health Listserve at York University.
Raphael immigrated to Canada in 1975 and is a Canadian citizen. He is married to health researcher Toba Bryant and has one child, Alexander. He is a long-time member of the New Democratic Party, and contributes to various progressive organizations such as the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, Greenpeace, Doctors without Borders, and the United Nations High Commissioner on Refugees.
- Immigration, public policy, and health: Newcomer experiences in developed nations. Canadian Scholars’ Press , 2016. ISBN 9781551309279
- Social determinants of health: Canadian perspectives. 3rd edition, Canadian Scholars’ Press , 2016. ISBN 978-1-55130-897-5
- Tackling health inequalities: Lessons from International experiences. Canadian Scholars’ Press.CSPI. 2012. ISBN 978-1551304120
- Poverty in Canada: Implications for health and quality of life. 2nd edition, Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2011. ISBN 978-1-55130-394-9
- Social determinants of health: The Canadian facts (with Juha Mikkonen). York University, 2010. ISBN 978-0-9683484-1-3 Available at http://www.thecanadianfacts.org/
- About Canada: Health and illness, 2nd. ed. , 2010. Fernwood Publishers. ISBN 978-1-55266-375-2
- Staying alive: Critical perspectives on health, illness and health care (with Toba Bryant and Marcia Rioux). 2nd edition, Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2010. ISBN 978-1-55130-296-6
- Health promotion and quality of life in Canada: Essential readings. Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2010. ISBN 978-1-55130-367-3
- Reducing Social and Health Inequalities Requires Building Social and Political Movements; Humanity & Society , Vol 33, Issue 1-2, pp. 145-165; February 1, 2009; doi:10.1177/016059760903300109
- "CV of Dennis Raphael". 2016. Retrieved August 25, 2016.
- . He manages the 1350 member Social Determinants of Health Listserv at York University.
- "SDOH listserv". 2010. Retrieved August 22, 2010.
- "Faculty of Health Awards 2010. Awarding its Faculty Members of Excellence.". 2010. Retrieved December 22, 2010.